Does engine timing effect camshaft

Rosier

Reaction score
I bought a v8 5.0 95 gt mustang and it has a aftermarket cam and I can’t find out what one it is . The engine timing is retarded like 80 degrees, wayyy too much, miss firing like crazy. I need to know if I fix the engine timing, will it ruin the engine or affect the camshafts negatively. Considering I don’t know what can it is. If anyone know I would really appreciate it.

Chip66

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the cam specs are. If when you say "engine timing is retarded like 80 degrees" you are referring to ignition timing, correcting that to about 10 BTC you should be able to get it running. You'll likely need to reclock the distributor to move it that much.

Make sure your harmonic balancer didn't slip by verifying TDC on #1. Otherwise, you will never find the right timing.

With some patience and a dial indicator, you can measure the cam shaft with only removing a valve cover.

OP
OP
R

Rosier

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what the cam specs are. If when you say "engine timing is retarded like 80 degrees" you are referring to ignition timing, correcting that to about 10 BTC you should be able to get it running. You'll likely need to reclock the distributor to move it that much.

Make sure your harmonic balancer didn't slip by verifying TDC on #1. Otherwise, you will never find the right timing.

With some patience and a dial indicator, you can measure the cam shaft with only removing a valve cover.
Thank you so much dude, lifesaver.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online