Dome light problems

97Sleeper

Reaction score
I know this issue has probably been beat to death, but I've looked every where and nothing has helped, so now I am here. Like others, my dome light will not shut off in the car, I've tried new fuses, WD-40 on the door latches, or door signals things and it still continues to stay on, so I just removed the bulb, I'm not around the car now as I am away at school but will be home later this week and would like to get this fixed along with a few other things. The car has sat in our driveway for about 3 years undriven besides a few times to keep the battery charged up, and when I recently decided to take the car over I got in it to find that the headlight knob had been turned all the way to the left (little cousins sitting in the car) causing the dome light to stay on and it was left like that till the battery was drained and left sitting like that for a few weeks. So I'm not sure if that could have something to do with it, or something else that may be causing the issue, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks- Kyle
icon14.png

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
Did you try turning the headlight knob back a little?
Yes, I'm thinking it might need a new headlight knob switch that is behind the dash, but not sure if that would fix this problem. That's why I came here.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The door close sensors are notorious for going bad, and causing that dome light and the power locks (from the remote to arm) to malfunction.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
The door close sensors are notorious for going bad, and causing that dome light and the power locks (from the remote to arm) to malfunction.
Do you know what they are actually called, and where I can find them?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The manual shows we have switches in each handle that should go to ground. There should be a wire in the kick panel to test this rather the throwing parts at it as I don't think its as simple as we would like them(the switches)to be. My book is for 94 so not sure if the wire colors would match. There is also supposed to be an illuminated entry module in the trunk that would be worth checking out to see if there are any wiring problems you can see.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score

I had the same problem in the 99 V6 that I used to have. This turned out to be the issue. ^

I sprayed mine, and the problem went away... but if you already did that, and it didn't work, it may need to be replaced. Couldn't you just remove it and bypass it to rule out if it's bad or not?

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
The manual shows we have switches in each handle that should go to ground. There should be a wire in the kick panel to test this rather the throwing parts at it as I don't think its as simple as we would like them(the switches)to be. My book is for 94 so not sure if the wire colors would match. There is also supposed to be an illuminated entry module in the trunk that would be worth checking out to see if there are any wiring problems you can see.
The light in the trunk works how it is supposed to, but I will have to check out the wires when I get around the car and see if I can figure something out.

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
The light in the trunk works how it is supposed to, but I will have to check out the wires when I get around the car and see if I can figure something out.
The light in the trunk works off a tilt switch thats mounted to the underside of the lid.. i swapped wire harness in my trunk lid and left a little gray box hanging and wondered why my light didnt turn on.. has to be level to turn on and when its tilted down (trunk closed) it switches off. totally different from the door switchs which im not sure at all how they work.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just want to make sure we have tried the illumination switch on the dash? You have turned it to confirm its not just switched to the on position We mentioned it before and you said some thing about replacing it but never said you have checked it.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
I just want to make sure we have tried the illumination switch on the dash? You have turned it to confirm its not just switched to the on position We mentioned it before and you said some thing about replacing it but never said you have checked it.
Yes I have turned it back from the on position so now it just dims the speedo, and temp controls. I just don't know if being turned to the left for so long (about a month) would cause the switch to break.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just want to make sure you understand that when its turned all the way to one side that it will stay on all the time. you should feel it click when it gets to that point.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
just want to make sure you understand that when its turned all the way to one side that it will stay on all the time. you should feel it click when it gets to that point.
Yes, I've turned it back to the right.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Well if you have a meter and know how to use it I can give you a couple of places to check for voltage so we can narrow down if its a bad sensor and if so which one.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
Well if you have a meter and know how to use it I can give you a couple of places to check for voltage so we can narrow down if its a bad sensor and if so which one.
That'd be helpful if you would, I can pick up one up for cheaper than I can get the parts I'm sure. And just to make sure how many sensors are on/in each door? I just know of the ones up front on the door, not sure if there's another one or not. It's a 97 GT if that makes any difference.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score

my car has that issue, took me a while to figure it out. Looked behind the door and it was being held on by a ziptie..either the PO did that or the idiots who installed my alarm. so i just got some adhesive and jammed it back in there. I think theres some websites (LMR) that sells the nut for the door jam switch, thats what went wrong with mine.

sorry that is for OP not you g36.

OP
OP

97Sleeper

Reaction score
my car has that issue, took me a while to figure it out. Looked behind the door and it was being held on by a ziptie..either the PO did that or the idiots who installed my alarm. so i just got some adhesive and jammed it back in there. I think theres some websites (LMR) that sells the nut for the door jam switch, thats what went wrong with mine.

sorry that is for OP not you g36.
Thanks, I will have to check this out when I get around the car on Friday. I also saw something that if the key chime doesn't make a noise when the keys are left in then it has something to do with that as well? Not sure, I'm new to these cars so I really have no idea what is all tied together.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, I will have to check this out when I get around the car on Friday. I also saw something that if the key chime doesn't make a noise when the keys are left in then it has something to do with that as well? Not sure, I'm new to these cars so I really have no idea what is all tied together.

Honestly i do not know much about electronics besides what ive done, which isnt alot. I would think the key chime will be a separate issue, since the dome light turns on with or without the keys in. Maybe its the same fuse? but if you checked the fuses i dont think thats the issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99