Door ding alarm always on

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Is it normal for the door dinging alarm to go off everyone you open the door? No lights on it just always goes off.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is it normal for the door dinging alarm to go off everyone you open the door? No lights on it just always goes off.

Possibly the ignition switch. Mine I’d have to wiggle the key when I took it out or it would do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Yes you are correct I can pull the keys out while driving, and start the car without keys I can't believe this, what do I do now. My 1985 was like this I found out a week before it was stolen and I never heard of it again, I flew from Seattle to southern cali to get it back in 2003 and drive it back up and it was stolen 2 weeks later.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well starting the car with no keys is new and could be a nice option. Its not abnormal that it wears out and you can pull them out early and just ends up a tad away from where it needs to be to stop the noise. Good news its an easy and cheap fix. Go to autozone and get a replacement cylinder. Take that cylinder to a local locksmith with your cars key and they can then rekey the cylinder to match the key you have. After that its super easy to replace. There is a small button on the bottom of the column that you access through a hole in the plastic shroud. In the center of a small metal button you push with a small screwdriver. While you hold that little button you insert your key turn it to the run position and then you can pull both the key, and the cylinder out of the column. Now just take the new ignition and put it back in, turn the key off and then you can remove the key and the cylinder is mounted.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
well starting the car with no keys is new and could be a nice option. Its not abnormal that it wears out and you can pull them out early and just ends up a tad away from where it needs to be to stop the noise. Good news its an easy and cheap fix. Go to autozone and get a replacement cylinder. Take that cylinder to a local locksmith with your cars key and they can then rekey the cylinder to match the key you have. After that its super easy to replace. There is a small button on the bottom of the column that you access through a hole in the plastic shroud. In the center of a small metal button you push with a small screwdriver. While you hold that little button you insert your key turn it to the run position and then you can pull both the key, and the cylinder out of the column. Now just take the new ignition and put it back in, turn the key off and then you can remove the key and the cylinder is mounted.
Just ordered a new set from AutoZone will let ya know how it works out

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there are videos that show how to replace it but its easy enough I did it in the parking lot of the locksmith. One word of warning is that when they give it back to you your fine if you turn it clockwise, but if you turn it backwards before its in the ignition it almost self destructs as it falls into pieces in your hands. Its designed that way again to make things easy but when you feel the pin fall out and suddenly realize your holding 4-5 pieces it give you a scare.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
there are videos that show how to replace it but its easy enough I did it in the parking lot of the locksmith. One word of warning is that when they give it back to you your fine if you turn it clockwise, but if you turn it backwards before its in the ignition it almost self destructs as it falls into pieces in your hands. Its designed that way again to make things easy but when you feel the pin fall out and suddenly realize your holding 4-5 pieces it give you a scare.
I don't think I'll take it to a locksmith I'll just use the keys that come with it

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Our cars has 2 keys from the factory. One for the door and one for the ignition

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Our cars has 2 keys from the factory. One for the door and one for the ignition

no they didn't. It was a one key system for all the doors/ignition/trunk. I still have the same 2 keys that are exactly the same from the day we picked them up

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
no they didn't. It was a one key system for all the doors/ignition/trunk. I still have the same 2 keys that are exactly the same from the day we picked them up

Weve gone over this before on the forum. 2 separate keys came with our cars.

Depending on the package and year some had one key for all and some had a seperate key for the ignition and doors/trunk. It was some goofy valet/security thing.

For what it’s worth don’t buy your keys at autozone if you want a matched set. Late model sells the kit with a matched ingitikn and door kit.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
strange we are on the forum and I don't recall being educated of the equipment package that gave 2 keys. Was that the GTS or? I mean maybe I am nuts but I remember being thrown THE KEY to the car at the dealership when we picked it up late 93 so I could go across the street to fill the tank up. same key I use today on all the locks.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My ignition tumbler is doing the same thing. Loosey goosey with door chiming incessantly until I find the sweet spot. It won’t be long till it craps out

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
strange we are on the forum and I don't recall being educated of the equipment package that gave 2 keys. Was that the GTS or? I mean maybe I am nuts but I remember being thrown THE KEY to the car at the dealership when we picked it up late 93 so I could go across the street to fill the tank up. same key I use today on all the locks.

My gt is all original and has this option. I’m the second owner and have the original keys from ford.

OP
OP
A

Ahgrafx

Reaction score
Weve gone over this before on the forum. 2 separate keys came with our cars.

Depending on the package and year some had one key for all and some had a seperate key for the ignition and doors/trunk. It was some goofy valet/security thing.

For what it’s worth don’t buy your keys at autozone if you want a matched set. Late model sells the kit with a matched ingitikn and door kit.

Mine has one single key for everything, I don't mind having 2 keys an AutoZone one for the tumbler.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My gt is all original and has this option. I’m the second owner and have the original keys from ford.

maybe this was later when cost cutting took a toll or something but I never heard of it. Hell up to that time it was the first car we had with a single key...

Adfalenski

Reaction score
All my locks are keyed the same. I keep a shortened flat key in my wallet so that if I accidentally leave my keys in the ignition I can still open the locked car. Having a single key for all locks reduces the mass of stuff in my pocket.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So back on point (segue)....

Is the fix a new ignition tumbler but have it keyed by a locksmith?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online