Door switch cups

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One pair of very decent door cups. I’m referring to the black plastic piece that holds the switches.
These are off my ‘95 Mustang Cobra coupe.
$20 + shipping 753D07E0-5522-4B18-8BF9-C58E95B2ADBE.jpegB8E7534C-A125-4171-BC1F-7EAB46558812.jpeg
I’m a terrible photographer. The top pic (driver side) is NOT 2-tone! I’m just trying to get up close to show the level of wear and tear, which ain’t much for 27 years old!

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Doh! Just looked: both sides broken off! They seem to set in there real snug though, FWIW.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Since it’s unlikely anyone will want to buy these without the tabs, maybe I’ll take a shot at some light sanding and repainting with a satin spray paint? They fit better than the Scott Carpenter replacements, which I can always send back to LMR for a refund!

I got talked into them versus the Ford OE replacements by the guy at
MR. Knew what should’ve bitten the bullet even though the OE were double the price. Just sounded too good to be true. Now I know better:-(

joemomma

Reaction score
I bought a set of whatever LMR sells, and proceeded to break both tabs when trying to install them. It would seem there's a trick to it, but it escapes me.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a set of whatever LMR sells, and proceeded to break both tabs when trying to install them. It would seem there's a trick to it, but it escapes me.
There must be a trick because when I just pulled them out, the tab/clip on the driver side was already bent down completely

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it got bent in shipping then. They ship them in just those plastic bags and I have had 2 that came in like that. I was able to use a heat gun to heat it up and bend it back into position.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
it got bent in shipping then. They ship them in just those plastic bags and I have had 2 that came in like that. I was able to use a heat gun to heat it up and bend it back into position.
Nope. They arrived in 3 boxes: 1 each, individually boxed; then both boxes inside one large box. Not a lot of wiggle room in each of the individually boxed door cups.
No plastic wrap anywhere, only packing paper to fill the gap.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There must be a trick because when I just pulled them out, the tab/clip on the driver side was already bent down completely
I definitely need/want to find out the proper installation procedure before I install the OE Ford door cups that are en route to me.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Nope. They arrived in 3 boxes: 1 each, individually boxed; then both boxes inside one large box. Not a lot of wiggle room in each of the individually boxed door cups.
No plastic wrap anywhere, only packing paper to fill the gap.
Maybe that is how you got them, but maybe your supplier got them in the bags like I have. even still they are abs plastic. A little heat and you can bend it back into shape.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
Since it’s unlikely anyone will want to buy these without the tabs, maybe I’ll take a shot at some light sanding and repainting with a satin spray paint? They fit better than the Scott Carpenter replacements, which I can always send back to LMR for a refund!

I got talked into them versus the Ford OE replacements by the guy at
MR. Knew what should’ve bitten the bullet even though the OE were double the price. Just sounded too good to be true. Now I know better:-(
Even the OEM Ford door cups' tabs will break off. Go ahead, ask me how I know lol.

I think that before completely lifting them off the door panel, if you insert a long skinny flat blade you may be able to squeeze one side of the metal overlay that secures them, lessening the chance that the whole tab gets hung up on the slot that they snap into. I think that's what breaks them as well as uneven lifting force (they have to be lifted straight up).

On the other hand, if you do a bit of extra work before putting the door cups on for good, replacing whatever needs replacing (regulator, one-touch-down if applicable, and whatever else) you can send the door cup in and probably not have to worry about anything for another few years.

Or get the carbon fiber door cups that should be more rigid with the tabs themselves. Better than molded plastic anyways.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The door cups in mine are chipped up pretty well, and I've considered several times sanding them down to remove the rubberized coating, then shooing them with PlastiDip to retain that "soft" look and feel. I'm concerned, though, that they'd just eventually end up looking the same as they do now, so I've chosen to try and ignore them.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it isn't the removal that breaks the tabs is when someone really gives the door a slam and that tab takes the brunt of the force when they do it. My brother has the worst habit of getting into a car like its a 72 AMC javilin that requires 75 lbs of force to close and I can remember the day he broke the pass side when he jumped in. I could hear it rattling right after that. I think we all know that the doors require very little force to shut and I think they just engineered the panels with that in mind.

There are plenty of good glues or epoxies for abs to put the tab back on.

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
The first and only time I removed my OEM original cups the tabs broke because I didn't know any better. But I got the CF ones so I'm pretty sure just by the feel if it they can undergo a few removals if necessary.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
all you need to do is first pull the top of the cup(closest to the window) towards the center of the car. Once the top tab is clear then just lift up, remove the screws for the switches and it is out.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I've owned sn95s since 2000. Not once have I broken one of the door pulls. Never understood how everyone has such a hard time with them.
The OEM ones have always held up for me. I even have a couple extra OEM sets as reserves, but I've never needed them.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Solved!…
The stereo installer fixed my door lock rod and also installed the Ford OE replacement door cups I upgraded to from LMR. He noticed that the metal plate adjacent the door cup was bent downward. He repositioned both sides and now both sides fit great (and look great)!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online