Double Din Radio Bezel Install

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
for those of you wanting to upgrade your car from the twin single din radios (am/fm cassette radio on top, single cd on the bottom) to the double din of the newer cars (bigger radio, but its one piece), here is a little write up i made for a friend of mine on another forum. its a pretty straight swap, but you will have to modify the dash so make sure this is a route you wanna go. once you modify the dash, the only way to undo what you did is to replace the dash.

i got one of the 01-04 radio bezels in yesterday after i got home from the meet, this weekend i will be messing with it and test fitting it, see what needs to be modified to make it work. ill take pics for ya and if you happen to need a bezel, let me know, ive got 2 of them (only gonna use one).

for the most part, comparing the 2 bezels (an extra 98 bezel i had lying around and the 03 one i bought), they look like they mount in the same fashion, only difference is the bottom. i think we have screws, they have metal clips. but like i said, this weekend i will be pulling off the current bezel and test fitting everything. ill let you know how it turns out w/pics.

**EDIT**

here are some pics of me installing mine. hope they help:

here it is, the 94-00 bezel removed:
RadioandBezelremoved.jpg

a test fit of the new bezel, notice the 2 tabs, half way down, that stop it from fitting perfectly.those need to go:
Newbezeltestfit-unmodified.jpg

a close up of the tabs:
Leftmountingtabtestfit.jpg

Rightmountingtabtestfit.jpg

and with the tabs removed:
Mountingtabsremoved.jpg

now, notice that black bar thingy behind the switch locations? thats gotta go too if you plan on using the stock switches that go there. if not, leave this alone:
Switchsectiontestfit.jpg

like so:
Lowersupportremovedfornewswitches.jpg

and now here it is, with everything modified to how it needs to be to make it fit:
Newbezeltestfit-modified.jpg

and the semi finished product (still need to use some double sided tape and paint it):
Newbezel-finishedproduct.jpg

and here is my album with a few more pics if you need them:
http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a267/ender03/Radio%20Install/

OP
OP
R

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
timpryor said:
Why are there screws going through the dash?

because i was too lazy to make a bracket behind the dash to hold the radio. i have another double din bezel out here somewhere that i plan on using when i re-do it to hide the screws

Adams

Reaction score
Do you have pics of how you wired up the new 6-disc unit to the factory harnesses?

catch_15

Reaction score
Adams said:
Do you have pics of how you wired up the new 6-disc unit to the factory harnesses?
+1
I have all the stuff to do this, just haven't figured out the wiring portion of it yet.

Gregor185

Reaction score
no offense but we need to see some one who hasnt screwed into the bezel...i wanna do this and put in a double din tv that would take up that whole space

qwikcobra

Reaction score
Just got through with mine some of the write-ups were helpful but I think I went a step further

Here is my bracket it is not the prettiest thing but it supports the radio and the two holes hold the lower clips for the bezel perfectly

386706626.jpg

My modded bezel with many hours in sanding yet still not perfect

386706633.jpg

The view from the back check the line I had to join together I used permapoxy plastic weld for everything it is sandable after 24 hours.

386706639.jpg

qwikcobra

Reaction score
And the semi-finished product. I Got a great price on the radio ($550) new from Amazon.com it. It is a Pioneer X910BT lots of cool features built-in

386706642.jpg

CanaryGT

Reaction score
Look cool man. I wanna drop my AC down and Pull the Radio up top.

jojo22

Reaction score
Qwik, what did you use to fill the button holes in the bottom of the bezel?? Look just like it had no holes from the factory!!

qwikcobra

Reaction score
I used the remnant peices from this mount that I used on the upper DD portion

http://www.amazon.com/Metra-99-9999-Universal-Double-DIN-Mount/dp/B000UQ5TZK

I had purchased the 3 blank button plugs and was gonna just do that to be easy. But I noticed if you stack two of the peices from the metra DD mount it was PERFECTLY level accross so all I had to do was cut them to fit tight and fill in the gaps/edges with the plastic weld and sand it smooth this was the easy part. The upper section was more difficult to butt the two peices together and hide the line.

Here is the plastic weld it is great stuff it melts into the bezel plastic to form a bond.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-84115-PermaPoxy-minute-Plastic/dp/B000ALBZK8

jojo22

Reaction score
Thanks!! I take it the plastic and vinyl dye works on it, as your piece appears to be the original color

Dr.Scientist

Reaction score
Looks like the whole thing is pretty easy. Just remove a couple tabs, and bend up a bracket out of some aluminum or something.

Hey Kingcato, did you do this conversion? And what Radio are you running in that pic?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online