Single DIN to Double DIN + 01+ console conversion

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I think i've finally convinced myself to do this on my '00 GT. It kills a few birds with one stone. I'd like to get some sort of touchscreen unit in the car with carplay just for more functionality as I do daily drive the car 2-3 days a week (until road salt hits the road) and I'd like the improved position of the cupholders on the 01+ console.

Seems rather straightforward and i'm trying to scoop up the parts to do this. Couple questions for those who have done it.

The buttons. It seems to me the fog lights are the only one that can be directly rewired for the new button. So i can move the fogs to the center stack. From what i see, the defrost can't be moved? Or can it? I'm indifferent to it either way as I can leave it where it currently lives. I beleve the traction control switchs operate differently between 99-00 and 01-04. Has anyone rewired for the new switch and does it work properly?

Mine is a convertible, so that switch can go where it normally goes on the 01-04 cars.

Leaving the defrost and T/C switch in their original (for 2000) spots isn't necessarily a bad thing because I was going to add seat heaters to my seats when I recover them this winter, and put the seat heater buttons in those empty spots. We will see.

Console swap seems pretty straightforward. Is the wiring harness in the console a direct plug in to my dash harness?

The only thing I dislike is the "hacking" one must do to the dash to get a double din unit in place. Most folks installs I see require a fabricated bracket to mount the radio. Am I going to be able to get the fit/finish I want with this method?

ANything else to be aware of? Any shortcomings of the swap that might bug me in the future and make me regret doing it?

rio_snek

Reaction score
The defrost can be moved, but it's a little more complicated than the fog light. You have to take the factory switch apart and do some soldering. There is a good write-up about it on SN95Source. I also roughly followed a write-up on SVTPerformance for the radio bezel itself. I built a shelf out of some ABS, and used epoxy to mate the radio install kit to the dash bezel. As far as fit, you wouldn't know it wasn't factory unless you knew SN95s

badass98svt

Reaction score
The defrost can be moved, but it's a little more complicated than the fog light. You have to take the factory switch apart and do some soldering. There is a good write-up about it on SN95Source. I also roughly followed a write-up on SVTPerformance for the radio bezel itself. I built a shelf out of some ABS, and used epoxy to mate the radio install kit to the dash bezel. As far as fit, you wouldn't know it wasn't factory unless you knew SN95s

That may have been my write-up on SVTP.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a problem moving the switch, if it needs more wire you can always add some by cutting/splicing.

badass98svt

Reaction score
@Mustang5L5 this is a great write up for the defrost switch.

badass98svt

Reaction score
There is an aftermarket double din trim piece for the 94-04 mustangs, but the upper portion definitely doesn't fit like OEM. Don't fall for that shit, Mike :D

Hold out for an OEM piece.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I’ve seen that. Not going that route. I already have an 01+ center panel so I’m good there. I just need to find time to go to the boneyard and see if I can get an 01-04 console.

Also trying to figure out what DD unit I want to run. Want wireless CarPlay and to work with my Mach 460 amps and speakers. I’m not enough of an audiophile to spent the money to upgrade everything.

badass98svt

Reaction score
I had a very hard time buying an 01+ console. I checked all the local vineyards and ended up resorting to eBay. Paid about $100 shipped if I remember right.

If you need a defrost switch, or blank piece to fit in the 3 switch spots, let me know.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Does your battery die if you leave it for a week or so?

No. I had a parasitic draw that was traced to one of the amps. Got two good ones on eBay for $10. Solved the problem. No issues with letting the car sit now.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I had a very hard time buying an 01+ console. I checked all the local vineyards and ended up resorting to eBay. Paid about $100 shipped if I remember right.

If you need a defrost switch, or blank piece to fit in the 3 switch spots, let me know.

Ebay wants $200+ shipped, but all the consoles listed there now are dark charcoal. I'd at least like to find a parchment one because if i scuff and dye it and it gets a scratch, you'll just see parchment, vs charcoal. I figure I go check out Holland's in Billerica first.

I need a fog light switch. I have the other two, although I won't be moving the traction control as it looks like a different method of operation. I might use the free spot to activate my seat heater I will install.

Slick writeup on moving the defrost switch. I didn't even think to do it that way. I was going to leave it in place, but now it looks like i need to move it where it belongs.

I did think of this idea for the fog light switch. I always felt this is where it should have been to begin with. Problem is just mounting it cleanly.

IMG_5592.jpeg

Last edited:

badass98svt

Reaction score
The fog switch is the only one that I don't have an extra. Just as a heads up, the same generation Escape used the same style fog switch, however they are wired differently and do NOT work in our cars. I have one here and tried to wire it up, then confirmed via a wiring diagram by a member of SVTP that works at Ford in the electrical dept (Vinnie) that it will not work.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Good to know. I see the Mustang ones on Ebay for $30. I'll scoop one up if my junkyard trip doesn't pan out.

Going to see if i can get there later this week if the rain dries up a bit. Last thing i want to do is walk around a muddy yard.

Probably done with the car for this season. Losing motivation to drive it when I need to run the heat and can't drop the top. Time to park it in the garage next to my fox and take it apart.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Ok, finally got my hands on a console. Got the radio trim bezel as well and the switches.

My plan was to transfer the 99-00 electrical harness over to the console. My car is a convertible, so the switch will need to go in the location near the front. I'm assuming i can transfer the power port plug to the new one, but I'll see when i dig into it. I might have to cut and splice the connector.

Going to cut and extend the fog light switch wiring. I can just run the extended wires up to the bezel area for the 01+ style switch. Haven't found a wiring diagram for either yet, but I assume it's an easy changeover to the new pigtail?

Traction control. I read the switched operate differently (99-00 is a on/off switch and 01+ is a momentary contact) so i'll likely just keep the 99-00 style switch in the shifter bezel. No big deal.

Defrost. I'm more than likely going to move it following the link from above. Maybe not initially, but eventually.

01+ radio bezel will be a project later on. I don't even have a radio yet. I just want to get the console in and functional first.

One thing that will likely bug me. 99-00 Mustangs use blue guage and HVAC lighting, which 01-04 is green. I might have to open up the fog and defrost switchand change the leds to blue. Not sure if the coloration is from the bulb, or the actual face of the button. Anyone know?

I'll have one free spot in my radio bezel. I have a blank, but I might put a seat-heater in the driver's seat so I'd like to find an appropriate button to use as the on/off for the seat heater. Tried looking at other Fords in that year span, but none of the other buttons have the proper labeling (ford escape uses that style).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Ok, finally got my hands on a console. Got the radio trim bezel as well and the switches.

My plan was to transfer the 99-00 electrical harness over to the console. My car is a convertible, so the switch will need to go in the location near the front. I'm assuming i can transfer the power port plug to the new one, but I'll see when i dig into it. I might have to cut and splice the connector.

Going to cut and extend the fog light switch wiring. I can just run the extended wires up to the bezel area for the 01+ style switch. Haven't found a wiring diagram for either yet, but I assume it's an easy changeover to the new pigtail?

Traction control. I read the switched operate differently (99-00 is a on/off switch and 01+ is a momentary contact) so i'll likely just keep the 99-00 style switch in the shifter bezel. No big deal.

Defrost. I'm more than likely going to move it following the link from above. Maybe not initially, but eventually.

01+ radio bezel will be a project later on. I don't even have a radio yet. I just want to get the console in and functional first.

One thing that will likely bug me. 99-00 Mustangs use blue guage and HVAC lighting, which 01-04 is green. I might have to open up the fog and defrost switchand change the leds to blue. Not sure if the coloration is from the bulb, or the actual face of the button. Anyone know?

I'll have one free spot in my radio bezel. I have a blank, but I might put a seat-heater in the driver's seat so I'd like to find an appropriate button to use as the on/off for the seat heater. Tried looking at other Fords in that year span, but none of the other buttons have the proper labeling (ford escape uses that style).
extending a wire harness does not have to be hard. First start off by measuring how much wire you will need to add by running a wire along the way and then cutting it maybe an inch or two longer than you need. Now count how many wires you need to extend and then use the wire you measured with to cut the wires you want to use. Now if you want to make things difficult/expensive you can take the time try and match up each wire color(red/black/white/ect) or, just cut/solder/extend one wire at at time and you can use the same color wire for all the extensions. As I said just cut one wire a few inches from the harness and then solder one of the wires you cut to both ends. By doing this you ensure that every wire is connected correctly and they are all the exact same length/cleaner.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.