Single DIN to Double DIN + 01+ console conversion

badass98svt

Reaction score
Haven’t dug into it yet. Wanted to see what the metra kit offered.

Unfortunately it’s meant to all work as one, so I can’t use the brackets with the OE trim.

The radio actually mounts a tad lower on the metra kit

View attachment 30593

Also the mounting setup is completely different as the metra faceplate is designed to clip into the brackets.

View attachment 30594

It’s a great setup for sure, but I’m focused on using the oem 01+ radio trim.

Yeah, I used the 01+ OEM trim. The Metra kit fits like poop.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Looks like i took a more unique approach.

I like how the metra kit mounted so I whipped up a model in CAD real quick. Going to 3D print it and test fit and make some tweaks. This will allow me to mount the radio similar to the Metra kit but offset it slightly to fit an OE radio bezel.

I don't have a radio yet, so this will likely get delayed a bit while Mr picky selects one.

1702059844234.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
ok, followed the wrote-ups and extended the defrost switch.

IMG_6718.jpeg

Works like a charm
IMG_6722.jpeg

Using an early SN95 defrost delete plate for now. Later 01-04 gauge surrounds that are not busted are hard to find. I’ll track one down later
IMG_6727.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Fog light switch moved as well. Easy extension and connect to new pigtail.

IMG_6728.jpeg

The differences in color bug me a bit. 99-00 are all blue and 01-03 are all green. I think it’s a unique type of green LED in these, but we will explore that later.

I have an idea on how to move the 99-00 traction control switch to the 01+ button, but I may leave it as is and use that open spot for something else. Seat heater perhaps.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
console swap almost done. Just waiting on parking brake boot.

IMG_6729.jpeg

Up next…radio. I just haven’t selected a model yet. I’m a picky SOB

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So originally I wasn't going to move the T/C button. I read elsewhere that the 99-00 was a latching style button and the 01-04 was a momentary. I found this to be false. After opening up the 99-00 switch, i discovered that it was also a momentary switch as well.

So on the fence if i will move it. I DID find a heated seat button in the same style. Came on F150's of the same era. It's not lighted however, so on the fence if i will use it. Might be out of place. I'm going to install the heated seat button and see if it looks out of place to me first. So could go either way as of right now.

Did not find any good wiring write-up on the T/C button so will figure it out on my own.

Here's the 01-04 pinout
1702566774955.png

Need to find a 99-00 pinout. EDIT: Oh wait, i have the 2000 wiring diagrams. I shoyld have it.

But there’s a momentary switch in here
IMG_6742.jpegIMG_6744.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you need to make a momentary switch into a latching switch you can use a latching relay. It works generally the same as a regular relay except that when it is first activated it latches, or stays in the on position no matter if the input then goes to 0v. The next time the input is activated it will then turn off.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I don't think it needs to latch anymore. The initial threads stated the 99-00 switch was a latching switch, but that seems to be incorrect. They are both momentary.

I actually had a solution if if did require a latching switch. The fog light switch is a latching switch. The button that display the fog/TC function can be swapped. I was just going to move the TC labeling over to another fog light switch.

But don't need to go that route anymore. I just need to compare the wiring diagrams and this might be an easy rewire. I was gung-ho on the heated seat switch until I saw it does not light up. I think that will bug me. I also kinda want the traditional 3-button layout and can just install the seat heater button on the physical seat.

I'll probably work on the radio after the holidays. Haven't dug into selecting a model yet. Next two weeks are chaos so not much time to work on the car.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Just putting some relevant info here in case anyone uses this thread later.

Colors all match up, but looks like the Pink/Black wire which is 12v feed gets split into two wires for the 01+ switch. So I just need to do the same. Easy swap.

99-00 TCS wiring
IMG_6747.jpegIMG_6750.jpegIMG_6746.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Intersting little discovery.

F150 seat heater buttons do drop in. Kinda. They are green illuminated and work with the standard plug for these buttons. They are a rocker type switch.

Unfortunately the button “head” is slightly taller than the Mustang buttons. So it gets wedged into the recess when you press it. Could likely modify the bezel, but I think I’ll relocate the TC button instead and just add the seat heater button on the front 6-way control panel for the seat.

IMG_6794.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Wrapped up the console. Got a parking brake book from redlinegoods.com but couldn't quite install it the way I wanted to. It was too tight in the top area and my OCD just wasn't having it. So i bought a repro OE boot and installed it. It didn't sit perfectrly on the 99-00 handle, so I ended up swapping the handle too. Now my OCD is satisfied.

99-00 handle on top. 01-04 on bottom.
IMG_7072.jpeg

Console swap and button rewire done. Now to just install the radio.

IMG_7076.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Just to wrap this thread up, ended up making two brackets for the radio supports. One to go across the front like the 01-04 Mustang, and a rear brace to support the rear of the radio. The read bracket bolts to an existing bolt at the bottom of the console area and I slotted the hole to allow for up/down adjustment. I used aluminum bars so I could easily bend to adjust as needed.

This was the trickiest part as I had to mock up and measure multiple times where I would but the front cross bracket. I oversized the holes to allow for some adjustment in case I was off. Fortunately it worked out ok.

IMG_7403.jpeg

Radio then bolts in using a Metra 95-5026 bracket kit.

IMG_7417.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
And that’s it. Completed 01+ console and center stack swap with double din. All theee buttons under the radio fully functional. At some point I’ll grab the proper shifter trim without the 99-00 t/c button. I also need to change the LeD colors in the buttons to blue to match the blue 99-00 lighting.

I also replaced the cig lighter with uSB extension that connects to the head unit. So I can input through the usb to the radio and it’s a Radio-On charging point for my phone if needed

reverse camera also installed but that wasn’t necessarily part of the 01+ swap

IMG_7540.jpeg
IMG_7527.jpeg

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know that all sounds simple enough but I have done it enough times to know the back/forth, trim/adj takes a couple of hours at best. With as bad as my lower back is that is why the mustang kit with the brackets already made is worth it to me. I would have got that kit just for the brackets myself as it turns it into a 5 min install.

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
Yeah, it took a little time. Like I said it was definitely a measure 10 times and drill once kind of affair.

The metra kit makes the radio a 15 min install for 94-00 folks. But when i started this project I kinda knew I needed the OEM trim bezel with functional buttons so this was the route I decided to take. I am completely satisfied with the end result.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
So final part of this project was changing the LED colors for the buttons from green to blue.

First, I had to find some blue 12v LEDs which I did on amazon. Standard LEDs can’t handle 12v without resistors.

Took a spare (broken) button as my test part. Pretty easy to swap the led to the new one. Just had to pry the fingers holding the leads apart and switch leds. I am not replacing the amber indicators.
IMG_8103.jpeg

But here’s the problem. They are MUCH brighter than the original green LEDs. Too bright as you can see here.

IMG_8077.jpeg

So I need to come up with a creative way to dim these down just a tad. I was thinking of just keeping it simple and inserting something here to diffuse the light a bit. Got some ideas. Stay tuned

IMG_8104.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mustang5L5

Reaction score

Got around to swapping the radio/shifter trim to the silver 03-04 interior upgrade package trim. No more 99-00 t/c button on the shifter.

Replaced the cig lighter port with a USB port that connects to the radio. So I can connect my phone for charging right there, or upload wallpapers or play files and such from the usb right there.

IMG_8012.jpeg

cobrajeff96

Reaction score
You can get 20mA LED drivers from Lighthouse LEDs. No need for resistors at that point. They control the current, and thus the output.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online