Dust shield knocked off

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Okay so I backed over something and now my driver side front brake shield is completely loose. From what I understand it is held on by rivets, so I just want to get the thing off of there it sounds like i'm dragging my exhaust.

I'm not somewhere that I can jack it up (slope) or have the time (work), but I'd like to get an idea of what I'm in for. Do I have to take the wheel off to remove the shield or can I get it out with some amazing maneuver?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

9838stang

Reaction score
The dust covers for the rotors are held on with bolts. and from what i remember you have to remove your wheels caliper and rotor to get the them.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Completely detatched and dangling. I don't know what it looks like or how it comes off. It is off is the point kwim?

9838stang

Reaction score
When I did my ball joints i believe mine were bolted on.... But in order to fix or re-attach the shield back on, yes the Wheel caliper and brake have to come off.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
What i'm after is whether or not I need to take a bunch of crap off just to pull the shield out

1bad95

Reaction score
Gonna have to pull the wheel and brakes and see whether yours is bolted or riveted. Mine on my 98 are riveted and they were also riveted on my 95. Can you maybe zip tie it up until you can get the wheel off?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Can you just reach in there and push/bend it back off of the disc? What is holding it on now?

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
I knocked one loose once. . I got mad reached under the car folded the shield front to back till it broke completely off...

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
Which end did you grab, front or towards the rear?? Totally doin that lol

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
its just a piece of tin your not going to hurt anything unless a sharp edge cuts something. When I had my air ride installed I got about 2 miles from the shop before I started to hear a light grinding noise. I called the shop and turned around and ended up doing 30 mph back as it kept getting worse and worse and by the time I got there I was sure that the front end was going to fall off. The tech knew what it was right away and just reached in and lightly bent it back from the disk and its been perfect since.

OP
OP
I

i94ponycar

Reaction score
I'm wondering how it is still on there, but I can't see behing there so it is anyone's guess

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online