eBay seats?

joemomma

Reaction score
Read a few threads here and elsewhere in the interwebs in regards to the eBay seats. Are they worth it? Seems like most that I look at are less than 1/2 of something from one of the typical Mustang suppliers.

What I'm looking for is something that holds better than my '94 seats, and look better. The opal leather is tired, and the seats really aren't all that comfy any longer. Minor fab work with the rail/bracket is OK.

EDIT to add: If they matched the opal that would be cool.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The seat is one of the most important parts of the car for both safety and comfort. I would not go too cheap on them by any means.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Comfort, yes. Safety, they are all about the same. Race cars use seats made of plastic or thin aluminum and they are really cheap, and still meet safety standards.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Corbeau are $1k once you figure in the brackets. I imagine they are worth it, but man, that's steep.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They are but if you keep your eyes open you can find a deal and I would rather buy a nice used seat then a cheap cheap seat. I got my corbeau's from someone that blew up their car a few months after putting it together and then parted it out so I got barely used napa/alcantara seats that has been used a handful of times for $600.

I have a hard time agreeing with the idea that they are all the same safety wise. Just because there are a lot of weekend racers that will throw what ever they can find or afford in the car and yea it will pass an easy tech session to get on the track but that does not mean that you want to have your butt in them if the shit hits the fan.

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
You can buy adapter plates that allow you to use your Mustang sliders with Corbeau seats for about $75.00.

Last edited:

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just because it’s got an expensive name on it, doesn’t make it more or less safe. It also doesn’t make it higher quality.

Game stop stock price was through the roof, does that make them the BEST place for games?

Big pharma medication carries a big name and a high price tag, does that make their medicine healthier for you or more effective than other natural or lesser known companies remedies?

Last edited:

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I have a hard time agreeing with the idea that they are all the same safety wise. Just because there are a lot of weekend racers that will throw what ever they can find or afford in the car and yea it will pass an easy tech session to get on the track but that does not mean that you want to have your butt in them if the shit hits the fan.

Yeah, that statement is very flawed. Local track days? Sure, you may get by with what you have. Actual racing with true tech? You’ll never get through with bullshit or subpar safety equipment.

waynenorcross

Reaction score
Read a few threads here and elsewhere in the interwebs in regards to the eBay seats. Are they worth it? Seems like most that I look at are less than 1/2 of something from one of the typical Mustang suppliers.

What I'm looking for is something that holds better than my '94 seats, and look better. The opal leather is tired, and the seats really aren't all that comfy any longer. Minor fab work with the rail/bracket is OK.

EDIT to add: If they matched the opal that would be cool.
I put the Corbeau Forzas in my '94 Cobra. They didn't recline but we're pretty comfortable and reasonable with sliders. Saved a ton of weight for autocrossing. Not for the wide of butt but I think they make a wide version.

PinkieT

Reaction score
I had a set of generic seats in my Road Runner. Only one side of the track locked in place when you adjusted it forward and back. If I had to get seats again, I would get a set that both sides locked. Summit has a selection like that for under $200 a piece.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I put the Corbeau Forzas in my '94 Cobra. They didn't recline but we're pretty comfortable and reasonable with sliders. Saved a ton of weight for autocrossing. Not for the wide of butt but I think they make a wide version.

I have to agree that if anyone does get corbeau's they can be a little snug if you are a big guy. I am 5'10" and 180 lbs and they are good for me but I know I have had a couple of my big buddies say they were really tight on them.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
That's good to know about the Corbeau - I'm on the bigger side (5'11" 230) so that's something to consider. I did read on one set of seats (I think it was the Corbeau) that they would fit a 36-38" waist, so it should work for mine at 34-36".

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
That's good to know about the Corbeau - I'm on the bigger side (5'11" 230) so that's something to consider. I did read on one set of seats (I think it was the Corbeau) that they would fit a 36-38" waist, so it should work for mine at 34-36".
It might hurt a little to write the check but I promise you after that day every time your in the car you will have forgot the price and be happy to know the seat is as safe and secure as it can be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online

No members online now.