OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Thanks my best friend J.R.
I will remember your helpful tips.

So, when exactly do I change certain "maintenance items"
Will my haynes manual cover all of that?

Is there any way to flush it all out (that carbon stuff)
and what's that stuff that i've seen people do that makes massive smoke come out of your tailpipes?
I forgot what it's called. What exactly does it to?

What is "PCV"?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
Thanks my best friend J.R.
I will remember your helpful tips.

So, when exactly do I change certain "maintenance items"
Will my haynes manual cover all of that?

Is there any way to flush it all out (that carbon stuff)
and what's that stuff that i've seen people do that makes massive smoke come out of your tailpipes?
I forgot what it's called. What exactly does it to?

What is "PCV"?

Your haynes will cover all maintenance issues.

SeaFoam is what you're talking about.
It....makes alot of smoke..lol

Postive Crankcase Ventilation= PCV

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I just googled PCV ahha
Should I change that valve?

Yeahh!! Seafoam haha.
Does it really do anything for your motor?

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
my96gtstang said:
Yeah I just googled PCV ahha
Should I change that valve?

Yeahh!! Seafoam haha.
Does it really do anything for your motor?

Off the top of my head, I can't remember the intervals in which you should change the PCV. Check your haynes.

Seafoam...ehh...it's debatable whether it does anything or not. You'll hear mixed things about it.
I've used it a few times. In my NPI motor, the new PI motor and in my Durango. I noticed a difference each time I used it. The Durango not so much but I didn't get a whole lot of smoke from it either.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yes change the PCV

Don't bother with Seafoam, the active ingredient is Kerosene, although people swear by it, I used it, lost my O2's sensors, and didn't notice a change otherwise.

If you are getting carboned up, it's because of regular maintenance that need's to be done, no need for snake oils (or fuel oil)

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Ok I will go ahead and change it just to be safe (PCV)

I won't bother with the seafoam then.

Anything else I should try?

Oh yeah, I got this engine cleaner stuff right. It's called Gunk Gel. It's the only stuff Advanced Auto had... I'ma try that tomorrow morning. Says to let the motor cool then spary it generously then rinse. Hopefully it works the way it should. Does anyone have a pic of them RIGHT AFTER the sprayed the motor? So I can see where all they sprayed. Is it basically from the COOLANT up towards to the firewall. Not the radiator or anything like that stuff.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
It may have been a coincidence, but my pooped the bed like three days after Seafoam went through it.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
It's just a risk I don't feel like taking. I just got the new o2s so. Seafoam really isn't a big deal. Plenty of people go without ever doing it so. I'm sure I will be fine.

I'm picking up the PCV, CRC (to clean MAF), recharge kit for K&N, T-20 bit, and the fuel filter.
Anything else I should add to the list? ahahah.

Now as far as coil packs go.... they are kinda $$. I would like to get new ones because it would help with better start ups and all around better currents...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Coil packs kinda either work or they don't, if your's are fine, keep 'em. I kept mine for 100k and from 180- 500 rwhp

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Well what will help with a better start up. It seems to take a bit to start sometimes.... maybe my fuel pump is old? Doesn't seem like it is... but sometimes it does whine kinda loud like a S/C haha. I think it's custom ahahhaahhahaah JK.

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do the maintenence first, and if the cold start problem persist, we can track it down. You can always clean the Idle Air Control on the front of the plenum though. It's basically the choke.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Ok, I will read up on that as well.

So AFTER all this is done, my car should be running smooth.... right?

HAHA, it just sucks because no one has ever taught me any of this stuff.... and i've had this car for 3 years.... and my brother is a mechanic.... he never taught me anything and I always asked him to.... and like I have like the "chinese cursed" mustang *is what my room mate calls it* haha everything always goes wrong on my car and no one can figure out why haha.....
I'm just sick of it running like garbage and all.... Just wish I had a teacher...

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
After all that is done it should run smooth, but until it's done there's no point in chasing any problems, you need a solid foundation to build on, you know?

Jrgunn5150

Post Whore
Reaction score
:dunno: The light won't clear by itself though, if that's what you mean. Well actually some codes do, but most don't.

OP
OP
B

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Well after tonight my CEL will still be on reading codes I'm sure.... because I beleve it was you (J.R.) or Aaron who said wait to see if they come back on *which it did* and then we will go from there.... but no one really went on about it after I posted it came back on so... After tonight when I do all this stuff... what do I do about those codes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online