Engine build help

Superfastgt

Reaction score
I'm not a professional mechanic but I do most of the work on my cars myself. With that being said, I have a question about my 98 4.6 build. I am doing the PI swap with Comp Cams. When I removed the heads some coolant spilled into the cylinders. I soaked up most of it that I could with a rag. I don't know if any got past the pistons. The car has been sitting for about 9 months without any work done. I don't have the money to remove the block and take it to get cleaned. It was in perfect working condition when disassembled. Would all of the liquid evaporated by now? Is there anything I need to do to make sure that everything is good before I finish assembling the engine and starting it up? I'm about to put the headers, heads, and intake manifold back on. Thanks for any help or advice.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
You'll be fine unless their is a rust layer which is doubtful. Just run it. If you are really worried you can put a little motor oil into the cylinders around the pistons edge or low area where coolant could have pooled. This will cause the car to smoke upon start up until it all burns away

kb1982

Reaction score
Definitely put some oil on the cylinder walls. That way if anything comes up, and it takes longer than expected to finish, you wont end up with rust on the cylinder walls. Be sure to also change out the oil before first fire up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online