Engine cleaning

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
just clean it
a good scrubbing can take care of most of it. If you want to make it look better you can take it off and hit it with a coat of silver paint and that can make a huge difference. As long as none of the bolts have rusted to the heads it is not hard to get off and could be done in an evening, let it cure overnight and install it back on the next day.

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Todays project is trying to fix the drivers power seat. Real sluggish and won't move with weight on it. Gonna tear it down, clean and apply lithium grease to the screw shafts and track. If that doesn't fix it I'm gonna order the seat repair kit from LMR that comes with new motors and shafts. Wife drives it too and she is 5'4". I'm 6'0" so need to be able to adjust it...lol. Supposed to rain the next 6 days here so good time to work on this stuff

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
As @ttocs mentioned, it’s just easier to avoid oven cleaner. It works well but it’s pretty rare to need something that strong. I have been using Nonsense from Chemical Guys for a few years now and I now just buy it by the gallon. It works great and it’s inert.

Also be careful with using dish soap for a soapy water blend. Any of it that gets onto your exterior paint will be removing any wax or sealant that you’ve applied.

The engine bay on my Mustang is pretty clean so there isn’t much point to show a before and after when I clean it next week but I have a small oil leak that I’ll be fixing on my 6.7 soon. I’ll be cleaning that engine bay after fixing it and I’ll post up a before and after of using Chemical Guys’ Nonsense, a standard soft bristle brush, and low-pressure water.

Bottom line: always use the least aggressive option first and work up from there if needed.

EDIT: Simple Green is also a good option but I would cut it down 50/50 with water.

optionizerSS

Reaction score
As @ttocs mentioned, it’s just easier to avoid oven cleaner. It works well but it’s pretty rare to need something that strong. I have been using Nonsense from Chemical Guys for a few years now and I now just buy it by the gallon. It works great and it’s inert.

Also be careful with using dish soap for a soapy water blend. Any of it that gets onto your exterior paint will be removing any wax or sealant that you’ve applied.

The engine bay on my Mustang is pretty clean so there isn’t much point to show a before and after when I clean it next week but I have a small oil leak that I’ll be fixing on my 6.7 soon. I’ll be cleaning that engine bay after fixing it and I’ll post up a before and after of using Chemical Guys’ Nonsense, a standard soft bristle brush, and low-pressure water.

Bottom line: always use the least aggressive option first and work up from there if needed.
Mine is already pretty clean, just want it looking new
IMG_0464.jpg

optionizerSS

Reaction score
Did the cupholder mod today. Didn't glue it in yet. It's just a snug fit and in there pretty good. I did buy 2 part epoxy but waiting on a warmer day to glue it in

IMG_0513.jpg
IMG_0515.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0517.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010