Engine Swap

98stang6

Reaction score
My rant : Is a motor swap really sooo hard? Cuz one day i'd like to swap a 5.0 or 4v 4.6 motor in the 6banger. But everyone says no just buy a GT or a Cobra. Or oh no its too hard. Like its impossible to do. It seems to me the wiring/computer/PATS would be the only tough part. Physically getting a new motor and trans in isnt all that hard at all. I do have a question about that tho.. would i have to get the k member off the GT? or would the v6 one work? (same thing?) Cuz i know most parts on the same year stang are roughly the same. Only main differences being the 8.8 rear the trans, engine and wiring/computer right? Look at Yellow4.6 he swapped an '03 Mach 1 4v Motor in his 96 or w/e it was. I just want to know if i can do it or if its really so damn hard i should sell the v6 and get a GT before i put money into body mods and stuff. Thanks fellas.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
If your not familair with this type of major stuff, your better off just getting rid of your 6 car and getting a V8 one. However for guys that do mechanical work and know their stuff its no big deal. Just a bit of work........

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
i would much rather buy a GT or cobra than mess with trying to wire up a v6 to fit a GT...Yellow4.6's swap was much easier since he just had to splice into wires for his, ut you will need to put in an entirely new harness...and i believe if you put in a 4.6 its the same k-member, but a 5.0 is different

Teal_Beast

Reaction score
If your doing a swap (which i never advice) mostly because i <3 v6's :)
I would say definatly dont waste your time with a GT motor, they dont make that
much power and the shortblock limitations are at the same level as your v6 . .

That leaves a cobra motor, and you could CERTAINLY get as much or more power from
a v6 for the same money as it would take to swap a 4.6 4v. . . . .

just food for thought

stangcharger

Reaction score
the easiest swap for the v6 model would prolly be a 5.0 since we use the same tranny. but i would only do a fully built 5.0 otherwise or not much farther than a stock 99+ v6 mustang.

personally id swap a 4.2 truck motor in a 94-98 v6. they have 210hp and more torque than the 3.8. and a much much bigger crankshaft for the low end torque.

waltnono

Reaction score
Not that big of a deal if u can do the mechanical work. If you have a 96 and later V6 then ur in luck because the k member is the same for both the 2V and 4V motors. Next you would need the computer harness and engine harness from a 4.6 motor. You also need a hydroboost from those later year mustangs also. Thats only the just of things for a 2V swap, 4V is a little more involved but not much more work. Things like IMRC and extending the engine harness but no biggie O0. Also I can't remember the year right off hand but I think 99 was the year they went returnless fuel line. So more things to ponder on.

9550blkcobra

Reaction score
Its not hard to swap. worth it for u in my opinion. look for engines in our classified section.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online