engine ticking?

danielson631

Reaction score
so i finally fixed everything that needed to be replaced on my cobra and i have to say its running great, EXCEPT
there is this slight ticking noise i can hear coming from what sounds to be the passanger side valve train maybe??

people always tell me to change my oil but even after i change my oil i can still hear a slight ticking noise.

like i said it sounds like maybe its coming from the passanger side valvetrain and it sounds like metal on metal clicking, and its like you can hear something spining as it ticks.

i wish i could explain this better so people can have a better understanding

does anyone know what this noise can be, is or has anyone ever had this problem before?

any useful info will be greatly appreciated thanks

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
how many miles are on the vehicle. what work has been done to the motor. could have a some timing chain noise or follower noise..could be a lot in there.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I've read(don't remember where) that the followers start to tick on these cars eventually. Could be that. Some people change them, while others go with a slightly thicker oil and they quiet down some...

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
the car has 123,000 miles on stock motor only mods are exhaust and intake.

i will try thicker oil next time, maybe that will help. otherwise i am clueless.

Ninety8stang

Reaction score
A friend of mine owns a 96 cobra and the problem his had with ticking was just the valve spring was shot and the knocking your hearing is the cam lobe against the top of the valve. You can try to run some thicker oil in it but with OHC engines i would be afraid with oil circulation depending on how thick you go. Isolate the tick and fix it that way you dont have to worry about it, or just wait until something breaks. Hope this helps you out, good luck.

ThePope

Reaction score
Hey danielson631, where you on Edison Avenue last weekend? Looked like your car in the sig pic you have. If it was, your car sounded very nice. Clean too.

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
ThePope said:
Hey danielson631, where you on Edison Avenue last weekend? Looked like your car in the sig pic you have. If it was, your car sounded very nice. Clean too.
haha yeah that had to have been me. its a small world, isnt it.

thanks for the compliments

OP
OP
D

danielson631

Reaction score
Re: engine ticking?....problem solved?

OK so i took a pipe and put it to various places on the engine and listened for where the noise what coming from turns out its what i believe is the fuel injectors. they seem louder then ever now.

im going to use injector cleaner to see if that helps. otherwise any one else had any problems with noisy fuel injectors??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlmobile636

Members online