Ever wondered what it's like to drive an American car in the UK?

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
You're driving on the wrong side of the road. Everybody is. :D

Looks good, keep 'm coming!

That's how I feel as well. This is a pic I took some years ago:
417285_308344392564144_1953905738_n.jpg

Hahaha nice! Why don't they have imagination??? All their cars are gray! Lol

Crapatalkin' on the iPhone 5.0

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
i got back from two weeks in australia. i'm still hitting my wipers to turn left...

I spent 3 weeks in Europe in 2010 and that was when I first started learning how to drive. My dad let me drive a few times in super rural areas and I had the same problem when I got back. Lol

Mack

Reaction score
I spent 3 weeks in Europe in 2010 and that was when I first started learning how to drive. My dad let me drive a few times in super rural areas and I had the same problem when I got back. Lol

I think you mean the UK/Ireland because the rest of Europe drives on the same side as the US ;)

(Although the UK is a part of Europe, usually the British distinguish themselves from it)

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
I think you mean the UK/Ireland because the rest of Europe drives on the same side as the US ;)

(Although the UK is a part of Europe, usually the British distinguish themselves from it)

Well naturally me being American and that being the only time I went I group it all as Europe :p We went to Germany, Scotland, England, France, and Ireland. We spent most of our time in Ireland with family there so most of the time we where driving on 'the wrong side of the road'

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hahaha nice! Why don't they have imagination??? All their cars are gray! Lol

Because the majority of drivers over there are looking for something cheap, compact, and great on gas.
Alot of roads in Europe are very narrow. You will never fit a hummer or truck in many of the streets in my hometown.
Gas prices are absolutely ridiculous in parts as well. My family are currently paying the equivalent to $7 per gallon over there.
Unless you go down to big cities or wealthier areas, you'll typically see the same style of cars around 90% of Europe.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
^truth

It's a very different culture here. Young people can't afford anything more than an econo box. The insurance, tax and fuel costs are too high. Most of the time, if an American car is imported it will be the smaller displacement model. Like a v6 mustang. We are very lucky in the US ;)

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
I guess I never noticed it in all of the TG episodes that almost every car is a neutral color.

between you and [MENTION=12861]Mack[/MENTION] people probably just gawk to see some color lol. Plus the termy has to feel wide as hell over there.

Would be sorta funny to drive an H1 over there for a day.. or a F350 dually. I mean obviously in a city would be a nightmare.. but still sorta funny

Caboose302

Reaction score
I guess I never noticed it in all of the TG episodes that almost every car is a neutral color.

between you and [MENTION=12861]Mack[/MENTION] people probably just gawk to see some color lol. Plus the termy has to feel wide as hell over there.

Would be sorta funny to drive an H1 over there for a day.. or a F350 dually. I mean obviously in a city would be a nightmare.. but still sorta funny

Speaking of TG, did you see the one where Jeremy drive the H1 in a small town? Talk about making your butthole pucker up...

Sent from mah Obamafone

Mack

Reaction score
There's also an episode of Jeremy driving a F150 Lightning - still way too big.

Because of gas prices and practicality you can't use an American car as daily. You just can't. But American cars are hugely popular as hobby cars. So you will see them in weekends mostly. The first sunny spring Sunday of the year it's the most awesome sight, everybody taking their hobby car out after winter...

But that's what makes it fun. The response you get while driving around is great.

Caboose302

Reaction score
So how much is "petrol" over there? I heard it was expensive but never heard a figure.

Mack

Reaction score
A liter of Euro98 is EUR 1.86 around here. A gallon is 3.78 liters. So that's Euro 7,03 per gallon. 1 Euro is currently 1.37 Dollars, so a gallon of fuel costs 7.03*1.37 = $9.63

I go about 180-200 miles on a tank (supercharged and all)

Last September I took the Mustang to France, that took about 863 liters of fuel. Go calculate. I won't :D

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
A liter of Euro98 is EUR 1.86 around here. A gallon is 3.78 liters. So that's Euro 7,03 per gallon. 1 Euro is currently 1.37 Dollars, so a gallon of fuel costs 7.03*1.37 = $9.63

Last September I took the Mustang to France, that took about 863 liters of fuel. Go calculate. I won't :D

However, I buy gas on base which is a subsidized rate for US Mil :)
Super Plus (94 octane) is $3.98 a gallon

I see Yuke is taking care of you man :) Can't wait to see what he's making. His work is absolutely incredible!

Yes sir! Gotta get the lights compliant with UK law so I don't blind everyone in the other lane.

Caboose302

Reaction score

WOW. .. I guess I'll stop complaining about gas prices. ..

Sent from mah Obamafone

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i'll bet you get head turns everywhere you go, either the beautiful sound of the Termy V8, or maybe the big badass yellow car driving by. it either must brighten their day or bring on serious inferiority complex urges. LOL
Gas there is ridiculous, i was in Holland last fall and it's just ouch. talk about taxing it to the point of breaking the supply/demand.
Keep on reppin man!

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Still the slowest banana I've ever seen. Now it's just the slowest banana in the UK!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.