Exhaust Mod Questions / Opinions

Discussion in 'Exhausts' started by RedPony, Sep 4, 2017.

1. RedPony

RedPony Member

I have a new Bassani catted X-pipe for my 1996 GT that is waiting to be installed. I know that if I delete one or both pairs of O2 sensors I will get a CEL unless I use O2 sensor simulators (MIL eliminators) or "delete" them using my SCT X4 tuner.

Can anyone please tell me any other pros and cons of deleting the upstream and/or downstream O2 sensors? (Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the upstream O2 sensors and just deleting the downstream pair, but I welcome anymore info or opinions). I have no other mods so far other than the SCT tune for 93 octane. THANKS.

2. white95

white95 BNR32 or bust Staff Member SN95 Supporter

You cannot delete the upstream sensors as the computer needs them for engine functionality. You can delete the downstream sensors if you wish but since you're installing a catalytic x-pipe there is NO need to do so. The rear sensors read catalytic convertor functionality and will prevent the CEL from illuminating.

Cliff notes: Install the x-pipe and leave all four sensors in place

3. RedPony

RedPony Member

Excellent info. Thanks. I'll just keep all 4 O2 sensors when I install the Bassani catted X-pipe. I just hope after 21 years I can remove the OE O2 sensors for reuse in the new x-pipe without damaging them (I have an O2 sensor socket set).

4. Mr.Sensitivity

Mr.Sensitivity Member

+1

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

5. white95

white95 BNR32 or bust Staff Member SN95 Supporter

You're welcome.