Exhaust Question....

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
I have a 97 gt, it has mac mufflers with the stock H, i know for a fact my car has 4 cats may have even 6 ive heard, but will it help to cut two of them out, i need to leave atleast two so i can pass emissions, and is there a sound difference? Any info would be helpful.

badass98svt

Reaction score
what does your state do for emissions testing? the sniffer? or is it the obdII?
if its an obdII test, than you can buy an o/r pipe and buy some MIL eliminators

OP
OP
S

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
they flash a mirror under the car looking for cats and read the codes, but im not in the position to by a mid pipe right now, just wanna know if i cut out 2 cats if it will be louder, and help atleast a little

badass98svt

Reaction score
it will be louder, but you still won't pass emissions.

just cut them all off and go to a shop that doesn't use a mirror

OP
OP
S

SoddyRebel

Reaction score
im just cutting 2 cats out, and leaving 2 in so i still have cats, so i should be able to still pass emissions

badass98svt

Reaction score
i doubt you'll pass like that. you have all the cats for a reason.
you'll at least have to buy a set of mil's

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I would just get a aftermarket X or H pipe, and toss it on, then when your emmisions test comes up bolt your stocker back up. trust me you will love the sound of a aftermarket pipe!

STNG_96

Reaction score
OK, first of all, you have SIX cats, not four. Secondly, two cats gone isnt gonna change the sound too much, but 4 will. If it were me, and there was no sniffer test, I would gut out every one of them. But thats just me.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Matt94GT said:
I would just get a aftermarket X or H pipe, and toss it on, then when your emmisions test comes up bolt your stocker back up. trust me you will love the sound of a aftermarket pipe!

Im with matt on this, just buy a off road pipe x or h you will be happy with it and If you had to you could stick your stock one back on come inspection time. Wouldnt that be better than haveing to worry about the test. ;)

STNG_96

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
Matt94GT said:

Im with matt on this, just buy a off road pipe x or h you will be happy with it and If you had to you could stick your stock one back on come inspection time. Wouldnt that be better than haveing to worry about the test. ;)

He might not have the equipment, time, or know-how to do that, and wont want to pay a shop to do it every time.

badass98svt

Reaction score
he may not have the equiptment? all he needs is a jack, jackstangs and a couple sockets and extensions.
may not have the time? after the initial install, swapping out the H takes under an hour each time.
he may not have the know-how? theres lots of great write-ups in magazines and online. its not rocket science. its simple.

he mentioned he didn't think he has the funds to buy a new h pipe. but, it would cost more to have his cats cut out and new piping welded in than it would cost for a used O/R h pipe. i bought mine for $75 shipped and i've seen them cheaper than that.

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I agree.

and there is 6,

Another option is to throw on a pipe, & get a tune, they can shut that fault off.
For emmissions on 96 and up, they just plug into the computer and read for faults.
that's all I did, never had a prob.

100_0458.jpg

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
badass98svt said:
he may not have the equiptment? all he needs is a jack, jackstangs and a couple sockets and extensions.
may not have the time? after the initial install, swapping out the H takes under an hour each time.
he may not have the know-how? theres lots of great write-ups in magazines and online. its not rocket science. its simple.

he mentioned he didn't think he has the funds to buy a new h pipe. but, it would cost more to have his cats cut out and new piping welded in than it would cost for a used O/R h pipe. i bought mine for $75 shipped and i've seen them cheaper than that.

good post, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read the previous postby STNG-96 :thumb:

STNG_96

Reaction score
badass98svt said:

Ok, well what If he someone like me who is away and college, and DOES NOT have any type of tools, including jack, stands, and sockets with extensions, and what if he is someone like me who works while going to school and participates in extracuricular activities and DOES NOT have time to work on his car all the time

All I was doing was stating reasons that support my argument

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
STNG_96 said:
badass98svt said:

Ok, well what If he someone like me who is away and college, and DOES NOT have any type of tools, including jack, stands, and sockets with extensions, and what if he is someone like me who works while going to school and participates in extracuricular activities and DOES NOT have time to work on his car all the time

All I was doing was stating reasons that support my argument

you have valad points there, but still, come on its just a quick swap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online