f cam and cobra intake

97vertstang

Reaction score
i dont have the funds to buy a custom roller and afr heads, but i heard the f cam in person and it sounds amazing. is this cam too much for a
pretty much stock engine??? and im thinking of getting a cobra intake while i take off the stocker. anyone running the f cam???

94OJGT

Reaction score
f303 cam?
its more for blower applications n such
but i assume it would be fine for a minorly adjusted engine, id port/polish ur heads n get oversized valves if u do tho,
with that cobra intake it would make a fine combo, its what my friend did, and it ran strong

Downshift

Reaction score
One of the guys with a 94GT on here made 505 to the wheels with SC and afr165s and that cam so cant be too bad. The cobra will be a nice mod. I just put a 93 cobra on my car and it woke it up nicely. Only problem is now im used to it and want heads really bad haha... never ending.

wytstang

Reaction score
You don't have enough for that cam, with stock unported heads you have enough for the....................stock cam.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
One of the guys with a 94GT on here made 505 to the wheels with SC and afr165s and that cam so cant be too bad. The cobra will be a nice mod. I just put a 93 cobra on my car and it woke it up nicely. Only problem is now im used to it and want heads really bad haha... never ending.
i want to change my intake manifold and while im doing that i want to change the cam too.i heard the e 303 and b 303 but they dont do it for me. the f 303 sounds wicked but it was in a afr headed 347.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
wytstang said:
You don't have enough for that cam, with stock unported heads you have enough for the....................stock cam.
yeah i know that, i just was hoping someone said it could work. maybe i can try to get some gt 40 heads :dunno:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Oh man everyone is going to give you there side on this so I'm going to give you mine. there are LITERALY DOZENS of guys around here with the E303 /F303 / B303 and ONE guy with the Z303 cam. The Z cam is in a 94 GT with a Windsor in it ( and no its not killer, it sucks really......his best time is a 8.23 in the 1/8 ) Anyway the E is the most popular cam, but like said the F is more for a blown car that a N/A car. The B cam is kind of the red head step child of the bunch as its not very popular ( the performance is down compared to the other cams ). I have had the E cam in a few cars of mine and always had great success with it......however my shop owner did suggest at one point in time that the F cam would work well on my 91GT when it was being put together but the E was used anyway.

If you have stock heads I would go with the E over the F since the lift is lower on the E cam and with stock heads you not going to be flowing anything at that area anyway so it would be a waste........unless you plan on getting heads soon. But then why not wait and do it all at one time.?

wytstang

Reaction score
Oh it will work just not to it's full potential. Stock head flow ok up to .500 lift (if I remember corectly) then they fall off rather quickly afterwards. gt4o or gt40p's would be a better choice then swaping out a cam at this point.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
5.HOE said:
wytstang said:
yeah i know that, i just was hoping someone said it could work. maybe i can try to get some gt 40 heads :dunno:

funny you bring them up, that 94 with the 351 I was talking about has them on it and he is not happy with them at all. The Edelbrock heads are VERY nice, thats what I had on my 91 ^-^

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
yeah, the guy i know thats running the f cam has a 347 afr 185s, N/A . it runs low 12s and it sounds great but his combo is way wilder than i would ever want to go with my fox. im not a fan of the b cam, so i rather get an e 303 than the b. also, the e cam is emmisions legal so i wont have to worry about smog. im a start collecting parts, heads and intake manifold. depending on what i can get my hands on, im a choose my cam. maybe i can get sime used alumimum heads :naughty: doubt it though.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
i know a guy that selling a gt 40 tubular intake but the surface needs to be resurfaced, i think it will be too much trouble than its worth , huh??
:dunno:

94yellowgt

Reaction score
5.0wned said:

That guy would be me! BTW, it made 506.5hp but whos counting LOL.

I had the F-cam when it was N/A even with stock heads. I did wear my valve springs out after about 15,000 miles with the stock valve springs. When the AFR's went on , it ran alot better. There are probaly better N/A cams but I went with the F because I planned on the supercharger. It was not terrible with the stock heads but when it really started working the heads and intake were done, but it did and still does sound good.

OP
OP

97vertstang

Reaction score
94yellowgt said:
5.0wned said:

That guy would be me! BTW, it made 506.5hp but whos counting LOL.

I had the F-cam when it was N/A even with stock heads. I did wear my valve springs out after about 15,000 miles with the stock valve springs. When the AFR's went on , it ran alot better. There are probaly better N/A cams but I went with the F because I planned on the supercharger. It was not terrible with the stock heads but when it really started working the heads and intake were done, but it did and still does sound good.
did u feel any knid of improvement with the f cam and stock heads??? did the car feel like dog in the low end??
would u recommend the f cam and stock heads, i do want to go with heads and intake down the road.

94yellowgt

Reaction score
I did feel some improvement but it was minimal because like I stated before when the cam really started coming on the heads and intake were done. The 4.10 gears did help some too. The GT-40 intake helped to as I did it before the heads. At the track it was great because your rpms never drop below a certain point so it kept making power. There are alot better street cams out there. If I did it all over again, I would have waited and did the H/C/I together and probaly gotten a custom cam done, its only about another $100. I would love to have a nasty solid roller cam but it just probaly would not fit my combo very well. The cam is great though now that im blown. I just love hearing people's reactions to my numbers with a bunch of "out dated" Ford Racing stuff and "junk" Mac headers and Flowmasters. I spent all my money on the heads and tuning equipment.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
5.HOE said:
wytstang said:

funny you bring them up, that 94 with the 351 I was talking about has them on it and he is not happy with them at all. The Edelbrock heads are VERY nice, thats what I had on my 91 ^-^

gt40 heads on a 351... now that is just stupid. Of course you wouldnt be happy with them. Try putting a head that is decent for/meant for a 302 on a 351 and see what ya think :rollinglaugh:

Honestly i wouldnt touch the cam. The cam isnt the weak link. There are plenty of people making good numbers on a stock cam. getting a cobra/gt40 or other intake is a good idea. Heads would also be really nice. Used aluminum heads can be iffy. It is a good idea to have em checked out before buying them. It would suck to buy a set of used heads and have them end up warped or needing major work. Cobra/gt40 intake and gt40 cams is a nice budget combo that is pretty popular.

There are also plenty of other cams out there to look into compared to the the alphabet cams. They always say the alphabet cams are outdated etc. which i am not saying is or isnt true but there are other good choices out there to look into.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
MeanGrn Gt said:
Snakebit said:
5.HOE said:
wytstang said:

gt40 heads on a 351... now that is just stupid. Of course you wouldnt be happy with them. Try putting a head that is decent for/meant for a 302 on a 351 and see what ya think :rollinglaugh:

Honestly i wouldnt touch the cam. The cam isnt the weak link. There are plenty of people making good numbers on a stock cam. getting a cobra/gt40 or other intake is a good idea. Heads would also be really nice. Used aluminum heads can be iffy. It is a good idea to have em checked out before buying them. It would suck to buy a set of used heads and have them end up warped or needing major work. Cobra/gt40 intake and gt40 cams is a nice budget combo that is pretty popular.

There are also plenty of other cams out there to look into compared to the the alphabet cams. They always say the alphabet cams are outdated etc. which i am not saying is or isnt true but there are other good choices out there to look into.

tell me about it, he was real smart in his research for his motor ::) it has a decent shortblock ( forged internals :blah2: :blah2: () the Z303 cam / GT40 heads, and the first intake he had on it was a Cobra windsor intake, then he took that off and put a box intake on it and it ran like crap. I think his best was in the 8.5's in the eighth were he was in the 8.2's with the Cobra. Hes never even had the car on a dyno to get it tuned or anything ;D ;D, i think hes scared :rollinglaugh: Big talk and no bite

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
he dont deserve to have a 351... tell him ill trade his 351 for my 302 straight across :naughty: ;D ???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online