Factory radio won't come out

gnx547

Reaction score
I'm trying to remove the factory radio/cassette player in my 95 Mustang. I'm using the Ford radio removal tool. I got the tool in on both sides and it is pushed all the way in. As I pull out the tool to slide the radio out, the radio won't come out. I have tried it several times, doing fast and slow and still I can't get it out. Is there a trick to this? Any ideas?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
push the tools in all the way, then pull the tools out(away from each other), then towards you. Sometimes the spring clip that you are trying to catch gets bent the wrong way and the release tools will not catch it. Then you can remove the two screws above the radio and then see if someone has already broken the mounting point at the back of the dash, or break the mounting point yourself(its not needed mine has been gone for years). The final option is to break the face off of the radio. Stick a screwdriver into the holes the removal tools go in and then use it to pry the face off. Sounds harder then it is super easy really.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have also found reaching up under the dash to push the back of the radio can sometimes help

busta

Reaction score
Is it not moving at all? If you can get the radio to start sliding out but it's catching see below. If it's not moving at all, push the removal tools in until you hear a "click". You don't need to go too far. Insert them one at a time. You actually need to pry them outwards, ie away from each other to release the radio.

If you can't get the radio moving at all, and if I recall correctly, as it's been a little while, there can be (wasn't on a previously owned '97 & '94 of mine but was on my current '94) a plastic bracket screwed into the back of the radio which catches the lip of the plastic bezel surrounding it. You may need to loosen up the bezel to carefully slide it out without messing up the plastic.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe your not holding your tongue just right while doing it.......:p

You gotta hold it just a tad crooked like your trying to lick your cheek!!! Then it will work!!! :b

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online