Factory Seat Leaning?

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
534ea398-90be-4663-a471-9d325d37f97a_zpsbk1zdk1i.jpg

The 1997's seats are leaning back at (guess) a 50 degree angle. The problem seems to be that the upper portion of the seat "locks" way to far back giving it a bit of an annoying seat lean. Is their an easy way to modify the locking position to make it lock at say 70-80 degrees or is a new interior the only answer for this?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the seats should go back to what ever spot you put them in and lock in. If they don't the only remedy I can think of is new seats.

lutter94

Reaction score
i feel like i can make mine uncomfortable/leaning fwd and lock it in, can take a pic later, but idk if 94 seats are different in the mechanics.....

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
the seats should go back to what ever spot you put them in and lock in. If they don't the only remedy I can think of is new seats.

The "pull handle" on side of seat works but only to lock the upper portion of the seat into a position further back. So for example. If it rests naturally locked at 50 degrees, I can use that handle to lock it at any degree below 50 but not above. Also, The other switch I flick up (behind chair) (to make upper lean forward so people can get in the back seat) only has one locking position. 50 degrees. You can push the upper part of the chair forward but it will not lock. 50 degrees and below only. :undecided:. Any way to modify the mech to lock in a different location?

lutter94

Reaction score
c1e628fe421949121a6212cb7006adbf.jpg

This is as far as mine goes fwd. I got eight different settings before it was reclined onto the back seat. Seat frame is adjusted all the way back. Sorry for crappy cell pic

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know the seats got cheaper around that time from cost cutting. My 94 had lumbar and didn't have any of these problems your talking about. Best advice I could give is get some different seats unfortunately.

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
This is as far as mine goes fwd. I got eight different settings before it was reclined onto the back seat. Seat frame is adjusted all the way back. Sorry for crappy cell pic

Thanks lutter! Look at how much of a difference!!! :sad:

534ea398-90be-4663-a471-9d325d37f97a_zpsbk1zdk1i.jpg

c1e628fe421949121a6212cb7006adbf.jpg

OP
OP
1998cobrasvt

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
I know yours is cleaner! Don't rub it in!!!! :)

Hahaha :tongue: Thats not what I ment! Look at how much further up yours locks!! My 1997 is 100% factory, itd be a shame to toss those seats but I might not have any other choice.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
from what I hear you are not getting the foam off of the frames in one piece the way they are glued in. Like I said earlier they went through some cost cutting and from what I have seen the 94-95 seats were better both in the cloth material, the frame and the options on it. I could not give mine away when I upgraded to the corbeaus and just took the lumbar/power options out of it and trashed it. Keep your eyes open and you can probably pick on up and maybe with a seat cover for the worst case scenario you can get a more comfortable ride and better seats.

RichV

Reaction score
Bruh ... I just fixed this shit in my 95 last weekend. Didn't take any pics tho.

Same issue it seems. When I drove the car home initially I though the back rest adjustment was stuck and would not go more upright. My passenger side also stopped at about the same spot, however it seemed more comfortable/upright. So I checked it closer over the weekend, took the seat out. You need to separate the plastic seam the bottom of the seat cover, one more plastic clip holds the cushion on the lower back side. Remove the head rest and headrest trim, just slides up/out for both. Remove belt holder. Slide cushion/fabric cover up slowly side-to-side and remove.

You'll find the backrest frame will be cracked and some of the spotwelds will be broken. I took a ratchet strap to the top corner of the backrest to the base and bent the backrest back to position. Then did some repairs to the spot welds with several rivets, and repaired the cracks with some small plates/rivets. Put cover back in the same fashion as removing it. It worked great, no more lean.

This is on the V6/GTS seats like in your 1st pic. They are not the most comfortable to begin with, but this fix is what a lot of Mustang seats suffer.

Tony

Legend
Reaction score
did [MENTION=17007]RichV[/MENTION] just say bruh?? :grin:

my 96 gt vert did this too....drove me nuts but i thought it was the whole seat not just the top portion...so i stuck a bunch of washers under the left side of the seat track cause ghetto :thumbsup: but i knew i was getting new seats anyway lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.