Faulty new fuel pump?

Five O

Reaction score
So I had to get my fuel tank replaced (had a hole in it) and the mechanic said they replaced the fuel pump as well as other parts related to the installation, which for one thing cost me a couple hundred more than they quoted (they did show me the old tank and it was rusted out pretty bad). My problem is that the day after getting it back, I was driving home from work and coming up to a light in first gear and the car just died on me.

Tried to start it but it just turned over and over, finally I pushed the gas pedal a little while cranking it and it fired up but ran rough and loud. Managed to get it to a parking lot and turn it off, waited a minute and turned it back on, and it got me home without any apparent problems after that. Do you think the fuel pump they installed may have been faulty or perhaps I need to change the fuel filter (not sure if they did that or not)? The only other thing I know can cause something like this is a bad distributor but I've also heard something about a crank sensor? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
shit if they didn't give you or show you the old pump I would suspect that it wasn't changed out after all. Either way you paid for the job to be done right and its times like this that its nice you did. Take it back and have them fix it and if I were you I would try to get a good look at the bad "new" fuel pump.

They honestly quoted you with out the pump and then threw it in there with out even asking you? I like a mechanic that is willing to look forward to replace things like this when the time is available but I would have been pissed as hell if they did it with out asking you. What if you wanted a bigger pump for future upgrades?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The shutting off does sound like a dizzy issue. It's starts randon then gets worse.
There's no crank sensor on a 5.0.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys. It hasn't happened again since so I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and take it to get the dizzy checked out if it happens again.

Win

Legend
Reaction score
So I had to get my fuel tank replaced (had a hole in it) and the mechanic said they replaced the fuel pump as well as other parts related to the installation, which for one thing cost me a couple hundred more than they quoted (they did show me the old tank and it was rusted out pretty bad). My problem is that the day after getting it back, I was driving home from work and coming up to a light in first gear and the car just died on me.

Tried to start it but it just turned over and over, finally I pushed the gas pedal a little while cranking it and it fired up but ran rough and loud. Managed to get it to a parking lot and turn it off, waited a minute and turned it back on, and it got me home without any apparent problems after that. Do you think the fuel pump they installed may have been faulty or perhaps I need to change the fuel filter (not sure if they did that or not)? The only other thing I know can cause something like this is a bad distributor but I've also heard something about a crank sensor? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff.

shit if they didn't give you or show you the old pump I would suspect that it wasn't changed out after all. Either way you paid for the job to be done right and its times like this that its nice you did. Take it back and have them fix it and if I were you I would try to get a good look at the bad "new" fuel pump.

They honestly quoted you with out the pump and then threw it in there with out even asking you? I like a mechanic that is willing to look forward to replace things like this when the time is available but I would have been pissed as hell if they did it with out asking you. What if you wanted a bigger pump for future upgrades?

Im in agreeance here something ain't right.

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
The car is still giving me issues. When I first started it today it started chugging slightly and acting like it wanted to die. Gave it a little gas but that didn't do much, and it drove sluggish at first then sort of "pepped up." Got me all the way to work and back with no problems after that. Later tonight I decided to run up to 7-11, and the car died on me while I was turning a corner in 2nd gear with the clutch in. Wouldn't start again, and the battery light was lit up on the dash. Tried it again while pressing the gas pedal and it started up after a second.

Called the mechanic that put the tank in and they said they can't see it until Thursday because they're down to one mechanic now (?). The battery light has me thinking alternator now (glazed belt?), because I've also noticed that my lights are dim at a stop until I hit the gas when they brighten. I've heard this can be attributed to an under pulley which is on the car from the previous owner, so I didn't think much about it before.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
that's a possibility. or the alternator is dieing completely.
Have your mech ck the voltage output when the engine is running at idle and various RPM's.
You should get 14.5 vdc +/- .2 at all RPM's.

Autozone or any of the other parts houses can ck it too and load ck the battery.

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to my old civic and it was the alternator, would run fine a few days then die randomly. Wouldn't start again till u let it sit for a few hours. It was weird but definately have the alternator checked. My radio would cut out and accessories would also shut down while driving, anything weird like that is most likely alternator

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Have the alt checked. I'm wondering also if it's still a fuel pickup problem.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Ok . if new pump was put in maybe seeing as the old tank had rust some of that rust got into the new fuel pump and is stopping the flow of fuel .

Check the fuel PSI and make sure you have a sufficent steady flow .

To eliminate the alternator out of the equation start the car and remove the battery and see if it dies simple as that .

Or while car is running take a cresent wrench and stick it on the backside of the alternator with the engine running and see if the alternator pulls the wrench towards it ( hence if it does the magnet is working therefore it's working and producing power but this won't tell u how much power )

Another possible scenario is maybe some junk got in the carb ( I'm not sure if your carbed , or something in the injectors and stopping the flow )

The mechanic throwing stuff on your car you didn't ask for without asking you is him being pretty presumptuous because he's assuming that you have the funds without asking and him not showing you the old parts is bad business . I would take the car to a licensed dealer that is gonna do right by you .

This is just some ideas .Hope it helps Good Luck God Bless you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I put a new alternator in earlier, and it seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately the belt I bought doesn't fit (forgot about the pullies). Anyone know what size belt to throw on a 302 with pullies? The old one is a lot longer than the normal 5.0 belt.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Reason the old one is a lot longer is because it's so worn it's stretched out more than likely so measuring that wouldn't justify the correct length.

If you want an length what are you running accessories wise ?

Thanks God Bless .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I put a new alternator in earlier, and it seems to have solved the problem. Unfortunately the belt I bought doesn't fit (forgot about the pullies). Anyone know what size belt to throw on a 302 with pullies? The old one is a lot longer than the normal 5.0 belt.

I used the same belt on mine till my alt burned up and I put it all back stock. Strange how alts burn up after UDP's....... n

kenny150r

Reaction score
I had many, many problems with my 4.6 with the fuel pumps. It took me 3 fuel pumps to realize that the wiring was actually shot and the whole pump assembly (not just the little internal part) needed to be replaced.

It might be a good idea to check the wiring!

OP
OP
Five O

Five O

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what else as far as accessories are on the engine besides pullies. The old belt is wayyyy longer than the stock 5.0 belt, by about a foot. I don't think it's just because of stretching.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online