Flowmaster 2220124 222 Series 2.25" ???

joebrez

Reaction score
Good Morning all, I picked up a an all original 94' 5.0 Vert last month. I knew the car was very clean and the owner stressed "All Original" and "Never been apart".

Anyway, I'm in the process of tuning it up, as it felt kind of doggy. It had the original Cap, Rotor, Coil and Plugs in it. Changing those gave it a HUGE power increase and sounds way better. It just seems to fall flat right about 4K or so. Not missing, just lagging in power. Now, I get it, it's not a high revving engine (my daily driver is a G37, which is polar opposite in power delivery), but I still suspect the 22 year old cats are a bit clogged.

Being a Vert, cat-less really isn't an option. I've been in one and it's terrible at stop lights.

Man, I'm being long winded. From what I've been able to gather, stock piping is 2.25" right?

Any experience with these would be great. Again, I'm 100% Stock.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
Small coincidence. I have a vert too and had a G37 as a daily and then moved to a Q50. lol. These cars feel very slow when you are used to driving 3.7 as weird as that sounds.
I believe the Flowmaster stuff is 2.25" . When I did my h pipe, I believe the H pipe was a tad bigger than the Flowmaster piping.
You can check the cats with a vaccum gauge or laser thermometer if you feel they are clogged. You would know they are clogged though. Its pretty significant.
The throttle cable in these things are known to be stretched, so pull up the gas pedal and see how much slack is there. That is the first thing I fixed on mine

For the record, no cats poses no issue for me at lights. I dont smell anything any different with or without cats. . . maybe I am used to it from years of cars with no cats though? I will say the car sounded more tame/quality tone with a high flow catted H pipe on it though.

OP
OP
J

joebrez

Reaction score
Small coincidence. I have a vert too and had a G37 as a daily and then moved to a Q50. lol. These cars feel very slow when you are used to driving 3.7 as weird as that sounds.
I believe the Flowmaster stuff is 2.25" . When I did my h pipe, I believe the H pipe was a tad bigger than the Flowmaster piping.
You can check the cats with a vaccum gauge or laser thermometer if you feel they are clogged. You would know they are clogged though. Its pretty significant.
The throttle cable in these things are known to be stretched, so pull up the gas pedal and see how much slack is there. That is the first thing I fixed on mine

For the record, no cats poses no issue for me at lights. I dont smell anything any different with or without cats. . . maybe I am used to it from years of cars with no cats though? I will say the car sounded more tame/quality tone with a high flow catted H pipe on it though.

Thanks for the tip!!! Yeah, it feels like a total slug compared. And I get it. There is a 115HP difference between the two cars with similar weight. Its going to feel doggy.

I'll check out the throttle cable.

Side note... How do you like the Q50? When I drove one, I felt like the "rawness" of the G was all gone.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
I came from an 09 G37X sedan. Honestly it took a little for me to fall in love with the Q50. I too felt about the rawness at first, but it grew on me. I had both cars for a little and there was deff quite a step up when getting out of the G and stepping into the Q. The Q is quite a bit more refined and more solid feeling car. Hands down feels more stable for spirited driving and you see a ton less on the road where I live.
I miss my G in many ways, but the Q is more refined in every aspect. Its hard to think how they can make that car any better because its already a great car, but my G just felt a little floaty for me most of the time

Sorry for my ramble

OP
OP
J

joebrez

Reaction score
I came from an 09 G37X sedan. Honestly it took a little for me to fall in love with the Q50. I too felt about the rawness at first, but it grew on me. I had both cars for a little and there was deff quite a step up when getting out of the G and stepping into the Q. The Q is quite a bit more refined and more solid feeling car. Hands down feels more stable for spirited driving and you see a ton less on the road where I live.
I miss my G in many ways, but the Q is more refined in every aspect. Its hard to think how they can make that car any better because its already a great car, but my G just felt a little floaty for me most of the time

Sorry for my ramble

Now the coincidence is even more. My G is also an 2009, but it's the XS model, w\ a Coupe RSB (it was very floaty before the RSB change). Thanks for the input.

ponyboy88

Reaction score
Lol, I too had an 09 g37x (sedan). There was a lot to love about the car, but I wanted something I could tinker with and couldn't justify my current project fox any longer. I miss how crazy fast and seamlessly reliable it was, but love the torque and rumble of the 5.0. Everything I read says these cars need a gear upgrade, much more so then the foxes. If I had the cash, I'd love a 5.7 Infiniti M. I hate the new naming system.

PM-Performance

Reaction score
these and the foxes had the same gearing to my knowledge. tall gears suck in any car. lol.
I had an M70 as a loaner when mine was getting serviced. I thought I would love the car, but it is just too big in the wrong areas. They look bad ass, but they dont drive as sporty for sure as the Q50 does. All in all I love my Q. I will need to get rid of it due to needing a pickup now and that pisses me off because I really enjoy this car.

OP
OP
J

joebrez

Reaction score
Had some quality Mustang time yesterday with a buddy who really knows the platform front/back. While replacing the shocks, we noticed that the Fuel Filter was ORIGINAL, it was pretty much clogged and was denting and collapsing! While we were in there we removed the trailer hitch, replaced the diff fluid (small leak in pumpkin gasket) and also replaced the manual trans fluid. All other suspension looks good.

I already ran into this same thing with Plugs, Wire, Cap & Rotor and Coil a few weeks ago. Just neglected...

WOW, what a difference now. VASTLY faster. Pulls strong to 5000K.

New High-flow cats, tailpipes and brake bleed this week. Then it should be good for a little while.

Flowmaster Cats
Magnaflow Pipes
MSD Cap/Rotor
Motorcraft Ignition Coil
Motorcraft / Ford Racing : Plugs/Wires
Wix Fuel Filter
Amsoil Fluid (Diff & Trans)
OEM Front Shocks
OEM Quad Shocks
Motorcraft PCV Valve
K&N Air Filter

Latest posts