Ford 4.2 N/A build

Jubert

Reaction score
I will be acquiring a 4.2 from a F150 I have a 98 mustang. I have a few questions though.
Should I get the 98 engine ?
Should I get 98 F150 motor mounts ? Will the fit my existing k member. ?
What electrical wires need to be changed or adapted to fit my mustang ?

I do plan on doing a complete overhaul, new cam new valves and springs but I'm keeping it N/A
Does anybody recommend brands parts and prices..???? I have seen people get scorpion rocker arms. Will these do me any good ??

I also want to put a new timing chain and gear. Any brands or anything is greatly appreciated as I don't want to throw ebay parts in my build.

Thanks a ton fellow stang owners .... this build is located in vegas... afterwards I want to decal it up .... hit me with info

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Sounds like a planned out project! You're more likely to succeed with a plan! You have my cheers!

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
I really appreciate that...I want to construct this write up with pics and info from everyone...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
I was going to do it, I would get a 4.2 with the split port heads. I'm not sure what years had them, I know mustangs 99+ had split port heads. Your motor mounts and k-member from your existing 3.8 should work just fine. I know Orange94 pointed out some issues with oil pan clearances. That would be something to check in to. Also, if you are looking to do performance upgrades, comp has a decent cam selection for that engine. I think there are only 2 companies that make different ratio roller rockers for that engine, and those are a pretty good upgrade also. As far as bearings and what not, I like to use oem, clevite, or king. Good luck with the project, and as always, keep us posted

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have Harland sharp rockers, comp cam and lifters, springs etc.

you need an 01+ mustang oil pan. the mustang mounts are fine, the block is the same, it's just the crank and bore that's different.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I guess Im gonna have to get one of these engines and dissect it. Ive been wanting too. I feel like the trusty ol' 3.8l has been looked over in favor of the V8...naturally.....but may have potential for decent output.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
when I first built mine I thought it was so expensive, but it was because I was on a college budget. Once I finish the academy I expect I'll have a few more dollars to play with to get it just the way I want lol.

You really could do a reasonable "budget" build that lays down some pretty good power.

OP
OP
Jubert

Jubert

Reaction score
I'm taking this one slow... doing it 100 percent to spec so I could have a very well maintained car

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the progress. Not many guys build N/A V8s let alone V6s. Curious to see how much power you squeeze out of it...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81