fox maf on sn95?!

lietuvis91

Reaction score
Time for H/C/I for my car, and I'm trying to figure out what I should do with the MAF. I will be getting 24lb injectors, but not sure what to do with the maf. Do any of you guys use fox pro-m maf on an sn95? What is involved in adapting it to our cars? I know that the electronics are all the same but i can't imagine the mounting would be the same, let me know please......

ryclef331

Reaction score
I run a pro-m 80mm on my car from a 93 fox. I just use a 3" silicone connector to hook it to my C&L inlet pipe. Its cake...

G

GREG@SN95

Many people think they need to upgrade their MAF. The truth is you dont need a new MAF until the stock one is pegged. Its not so much as to what amount of hp will peg one, but the amount of air going through it. But as a rule of thumb, we will go with 400rwhp. Now Im not saying go out and buy a new one if you're at 400rwhp, you need to datalog the MAF counts and such to see if you need a new one. VERY rarely will someone with a NA car peg the stock MAF.

What does upgrading to a larger MAF do?
Basically it will lean you out and cause the car to run very poorly. As a result you will need to get the car retuned. If you dont, then the lean condition your new MAF causes will lead to a blown motor. Now after you get the new MAF and have the car retuned the gains are very minimal. So that makes your new MAF pointless.

Also, just as a side note, intakes with a bend before the MAF cause bad readings. So stay away from those too.

It gets into more detail here. And for those who dont know who Ed Clark is, he is a VERY reputable tuner at Steen Racing. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=25092

ryclef331

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
Many people think they need to upgrade their MAF. The truth is you dont need a new MAF until the stock one is pegged. Its not so much as to what amount of hp will peg one, but the amount of air going through it. But as a rule of thumb, we will go with 400rwhp. Now Im not saying go out and buy a new one if you're at 400rwhp, you need to datalog the MAF counts and such to see if you need a new one. VERY rarely will someone with a NA car peg the stock MAF.

Basically it will lean you out and cause the car to run very poorly. As a result you will need to get the car retuned. If you dont, then the lean condition your new MAF causes will lead to a blown motor. Now after you get the new MAF and have the car retuned the gains are very minimal. So that makes your new MAF pointless.

Also, just as a side note, intakes with a bend before the MAF cause bad readings. So stay away from those too.

It gets into more detail here. And for those who dont know who Ed Clark is, he is a VERY reputable tuner at Steen Racing. http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=25092

I see what your saying but you're reading this off of Mod Depot...they have larger mafs than us from the get go. Why would I run a stock choked down maf with a 75mm throttle body? I understand its not being pegged but you still need to elimnate your weakest link. Other than a tune, how else are you going to calibrate for bigger injectors....

I owned a lightning....with a 90mm MAF. I know all about pegging MAFs and what can happen.

G

GREG@SN95

ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:

I see what your saying but you're reading this off of Mod Depot...they have larger mafs than us from the get go. Why would I run a stock choked down maf with a 75mm throttle body? I understand its not being pegged but you still need to elimnate your weakest link. Other than a tune, how else are you going to calibrate for bigger injectors....

I owned a lightning....with a 90mm MAF. I know all about pegging MAFs and what can happen.

I wanted to throw that out for the man...

IMO, he could spend the money on something more worth while. You are correct, won't hurt to get a nice MAF... But is it necessary?

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
GREG@SN95 said:
I wanted to throw that out for the man...

IMO, he could spend the money on something more worth while. You are correct, won't hurt to get a nice MAF... But is it necessary?
Yes it is necessary. Like RyClef said, how else would you recalibrate for 24lbers? With a H/C/I combo larger injectors are needed...no question.

lietuvis91, P MAS (formally Pro M...kinda) sells MAF's for 94-95's; they have the flanges to bolt onto a cold air kit or stock airbox setup.
http://www.massairsystems.com/75MM.htm

OP
OP
L

lietuvis91

Reaction score
needing bigger injectors is the issue here, which is why I NEED a new maf, if i could get by w/ the old one i would..... trust me..... but going back to the original question. My air intake system is stock right now.I will be running a 70mm tb and an rpmII intake (u&L) so i need a maf and a set of 24lb#s i was just wondering if any of you run a fox pro-m (or now pmas mafs) on your sn95 cars and what changes if any had to be made to make it work.

so it seems like i will need to make an adapter of some sort to connect it to my air box.......maybe i should just get the wms stuff, buz they sell a maf for like $210 and an 3.5in na power pipe for $130. I will have to ask how to calibrate it though...

Suspect

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
GREG@SN95 said:

i just asked this in the other thread.

ryclef331

Reaction score
lietuvis91 said:
needing bigger injectors is the issue here, which is why I NEED a new maf, if i could get by w/ the old one i would..... trust me..... but going back to the original question. My air intake system is stock right now.I will be running a 70mm tb and an rpmII intake (u&L) so i need a maf and a set of 24lb#s i was just wondering if any of you run a fox pro-m (or now pmas mafs) on your sn95 cars and what changes if any had to be made to make it work.

so it seems like i will need to make an adapter of some sort to connect it to my air box.......maybe i should just get the wms stuff, buz they sell a maf for like $210 and an 3.5in na power pipe for $130. I will have to ask how to calibrate it though...

how YOU calibrate it? You don't. They come cal'd for your specified injector size.

OP
OP
L

lietuvis91

Reaction score
thanks guys!

I understand that the maf is already calibrated for the injectors, my question particularly is:
is the connector the same on both fox and sn95 to the harness and how do you physically mount the maf in the engine bay, are any mods required to adapt it?

ryclef331

Reaction score
The connector is the same. As for mounting the MAF, whatever you can make work.

ryclef331

Reaction score
just buy a 77mm. Just b/c its bigger than your throttle body doesn't mean its going to cause any problems at all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online