Fox rear end in SN95?

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a rear end from his 86 fox that has just been rebuilt recently with 3.73's...very low miles. Our first plan was for me to pull the gears out of that rear end for my car but the question came up of 'why don't you just swap that complete rear end with the one in your car?' Obviously the first seen differences are his rear end having drum brakes and a 4 lug pattern...but other than that would it be possible to swap my axles and brake hardware from my rear end to the fox rear end? That would save me the trouble and money of having to pull everything out of the fox rear and have gears reinstalled in mine as well as bearings and seals etc.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have a fox 8.8 with 373s in mine.
Its been awhile but I just remember swapping axles .

RichV

Reaction score
Just bolt EVERYTHING from your 8.8 on the Fox 8.8. Brakes, lines, brackets, axles, etc.

As long as everything in the Fox is 28 spline you're GTG.

nitroram33

Reaction score
IIRC, housing are the same between the two ('99-'04 got a wider housing), but the SN axles are a little longer because of the ABS stuff. Since you'd be swapping axles and everything else, then it shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Got the rear end out of the fox today! It needs a good cleaning and some weight reduction (still has the dog bone and will probably remove quad shock brackets). After that I plan on painting it or undercoating it before I get ready to swap everything out and do the install.

When it it comes to pulling the axles out, do I just take the retainers loose and pull them that way or do I have to take the cover off the rear end and take anything loose inside there? Never messed with anything like this before so I'm clueless.

dino

Reaction score
You'll have to pull cover.
Unbolt the cross pin bolt (like a 7 or 8 mm). Tap the large cross pin out. Slide axles in towards center. Carefully remove 2 c-clips.

RichV

Reaction score
Its easy, just like dino described. When the axles are out, remove the rear brake brackets on your SN rear to install in the Fox rear. You will need the SN axles and all the SN brake lines you'll re-use on the fox rear.

When the king-pin is removed you can get at the c-clips. And it will all come appart.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Got the rear end out of the fox today! It needs a good cleaning and some weight reduction (still has the dog bone and will probably remove quad shock brackets). After that I plan on painting it or undercoating it before I get ready to swap everything out and do the install.

When it it comes to pulling the axles out, do I just take the retainers loose and pull them that way or do I have to take the cover off the rear end and take anything loose inside there? Never messed with anything like this before so I'm clueless.

Like stated above, once you get the cover off and the 8mm bolt and the pin out, you will see the c-clips. I use a small magnet to get my clips out, you might have to push the axles in (toward the center) to get the c-clips in position to come out. Overall, very easy job. You will understand as soon as you get in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online