FUEL PUMP EXPERTS PLEASE....

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Alright, so i kept throwing a -P1090-(Fuel rail pressure regulator circuit A) only on start up after the car had been sitting over 10-15 mins and over night in the am of course (unless i primed it a few times with the key). Enough time for the fuel to drain back into the tank i guess? Replaced the FRPRM on the rail. Still did the same thing ONLY AT COLD/SEMI COLD START UPS

FIRST QUESTION: On a 2002 with return-less is it supposed to drain back into the tank? (I can turn the car off and have zero pressure at the rail instantly)

So i dropped the tank to find an entire AIRTEX replacement sending unit with a strange bucket that has a second pickup tube running down the side. The pump inside I suspect is bad is a Walbro... Says it right on the side... I couldn't replace it however, as none of the parts stores carried that type of pump with the two universal style prongs on top. So i threw it ALLL back together with old pump.

SECOND QUESTION: WTF type of pump is this? Why does it have the second pickup on the pump hooked to a black tube running down the side?
(HERES WHAT I PULLED OUT OF MY 2002 GT) The black tube runs down the OUTSIDE of the bucket and connects to the side at the bottom. Its like a second pickup....
image_zpslswdvrcc.jpg

Now with the old pump all back together the car sputters and throws the P1090 code if the gas tank is under 1/8th tank going around any turn. Dont people modify the buckets for this?
All of the links ive seen for fuel pump installs or instructions for swaps are outdated and the pages are not found.

This is my new pump... Note the absence of a black tube or anywhere one would hook up, Yet its the same style.
image_zpsqpubuy1d.jpg

Its a 255lph, without the second pickup sticking out of the front of it to run down the side of the bucket. How should i go about installing this pump? Should i drill holes in the bucket? How big do i make them? Every picture Ive found in threads about it that should be there are long deleted.

Getting super frustrated and im hoping to get some answers. Im really hating this airtex JUNK but i cannot afford an entire sending unit.
I have got to modify my current bucket for that new pump.... CAN I GET RID OF THE BUCKET????

Heres a factory pump from autozone... No second pickup....
image_zps0wyskdet.jpg

Really hoping someone can help me figure this out. Im about to head up to the shop to try it out. Would love to know how to modify the bucket or something before i put it back together. Really wish the previous owner just left the factory fuel Hat in the damn car.....

torch318

Reaction score
The one way check valve is what holds pressure at the the rail if you replaced it I don't understand why your losing pressure as soon you turn the car off. The 98's had the check valve in the pump and if it goes bad you have to replace the pump.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
The one way check valve is what holds pressure at the the rail if you replaced it I don't understand why your losing pressure as soon you turn the car off. The 98's had the check valve in the pump and if it goes bad you have to replace the pump.

In thinking ive got a bad injector or o-ring now... The pump thats in the car has a built in check valve right in the outlet tube which could be a contributing factor as well now that i think it could possibly be an older style pump in a returnless system...

chris91

Reaction score
If you end up needing some injectors I have two pair of 19's. One set from my 99 and one set from a 03 Crown Vic. $25 shipped for either set.

torch318

Reaction score
In thinking ive got a bad injector or o-ring now... The pump thats in the car has a built in check valve right in the outlet tube which could be a contributing factor as well now that i think it could possibly be an older style pump in a returnless system...
If you had a bad o-ring I think it would be leaking fuel out somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ccrider

Members online