Gonna wire in some kenwoods to Mach 460, aftermarket kenwood deck.

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
In my 2001 Cobra I have the Mach system with a Kenwood Deck. It appears that the Speakers are still being amplified by the mach system. I am going to upgrade in pairs so I am thinking of to wiring the speakers straight to the deck which is a 52x4 watt deck. I am sure i need an aftermarket amplifier but what do you guys think? Will the sound be drastically different front to back if I do it this way?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Yes. Better off to replace all the speakers and use a massive ungawdly amp to power them.

I know whats happening. Youre getting max volume at like 8 on the kenwood when their is another 42 volume clicks to go.

ttocs may have a brilliant solution,...as he always does. Id hang out till he posts up.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
Yes. Better off to replace all the speakers and use a massive ungawdly amp to power them.

I know whats happening. Youre getting max volume at like 8 on the kenwood when their is another 42 volume clicks to go.

ttocs may have a brilliant solution,...as he always does. Id hang out till he posts up.

Actually I dont have volume issues with this at all. Its just the front woofers are blown and I want to replace them. I know you cant wire them in directly or you run into issues.

Reaction score
Best to redo it all, I've only heard nightmare stories about changing the stereo system with a mach 460. I should have some extra 6x8s and tweeters laying around. I've only ever upgraded the head unit nothing more. The mach 460 bangs awesome for me

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Frank is real. Honestly, you are better off to replace them all and run them with a giant amp. Can never go wrong with to much power!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you don't have to add an amp but you will need to replace the 5 x 7 woofers. Bypassing the amps is easy just find the 8-pin harness pinned to the inside of the dash next to the radio, disconnecting it and then using that as your speaker harness for the radio. then when you install the speakers use the speaker wire that normally goes to the tweeters as the signal for the speakers.

OP
OP

4.6Stangrage

Reaction score
you don't have to add an amp but you will need to replace the 5 x 7 woofers. Bypassing the amps is easy just find the 8-pin harness pinned to the inside of the dash next to the radio, disconnecting it and then using that as your speaker harness for the radio. then when you install the speakers use the speaker wire that normally goes to the tweeters as the signal for the speakers.

Okay, Ill have to look into this. So, pretty much Ill not have the tweeters in the front. I bet the kenwoods would sound better anyways.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can still use the tweeters if you really wanted but you will need to get a capacitor for each one to put in line to filter the bass out. I think used a 1000 micro-farad cap but its been years. You probably would not miss them if you cut them out though as the new speakers are full range and the sail panels are not really all that great of a place to mount a speaker if your talking about imaging/soundstage stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online

No members online now.