Got to drive this yesterday

fixthedoor

Reaction score
I got to drive my boss's 66 Sheldy Cobra yesterday from the mechanic's shop to my boss's house. It was a nice 50 mile drive on easy twisties, city streets and on the freeway. The motor is a 427 Chevy with an 850 cfm Holley double pumper running through a four speed. The rear end has 390s. It was like having sex for the first time. I couldn't get on it hard cause the motor was just rebuilt, the tags are from 2001 and my boss was right behind me. Even with casual driving, keeping the shifts around 2800, this thing would slingshot out of the hole and with every gear change. You could tell this thing wanted to be run hard. The exhaust was just pure sex, I've only heard a few things more beautiful. The pedals were stiff and solid and the shifter was very tight and precise. It took a little while for me to get used to driving it, but after that... got damn! Heres some pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
Yeah I know :nonono:, I cringed after I heard about. That block was in it when he bought it way back when.

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
did you make him go out and have to buy new rear tires??

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
i would have just blew that engine.. i saw that car and was like nOIce then i read it had a chevy motor.. thats so gay. that ruins that whole car.. the reason that car is badass is because of the 427 FORD motors that go in them!

G

GREG@SN95

Your dad's boss is a complete ****** for putting a GM motor in it...

and the car is gay too...

:nonono: :nonono:

ripper

Reaction score
Are you sure its a chevy 427 fix? Why would you put a chevy in a car like that unless maybe its a kit car. Even then why a chevy when you could get a ford 427. Makes no friggin sense. He is a real car guy aint he?

94Vert

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Are you sure its a chevy 427 fix? Why would you put a chevy in a car like that unless maybe its a kit car. Even then why a chevy when you could get a ford 427. Makes no friggin sense. He is a real car guy aint he?

I'd bet it's a replica, orginal cobras go for like 250k.

ripper

Reaction score
The guy that does my suspension work has a real one. They have tubular frames and bodies are aluminum. Ill take some pics of it next time im over there. Its awesome car. It was on the lift last time i saw it. I looked under it and saw the tubular frame.

97blackgt

Reaction score
sweeeet car... O0

who cares if its a chevy or a fird engine its still sweet

94Vert

Reaction score
Stevo said:
The guy that does my suspension work has a real one. They have tubular frames and bodies are aluminum. Ill take some pics of it next time im over there. Its awesome car. It was on the lift last time i saw it. I looked under it and saw the tubular frame.

Some of the replica companys use tube rails. Don't get me wrong those replicas are still nice cars that make big power. Those origianl cobras are so rare though. You can't even find a real one on ebay

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
94Vert said:
Some of the replica companys use tube rails. Don't get me wrong those replicas are still nice cars that make big power. Those origianl cobras are so rare though. You can't even find a real one on ebay

yeah they are pretty freaking rare.. id be suprised if your buddies car was a real shelby. idk maybe though. im not calling you a liar, just saying.

OP
OP
F

fixthedoor

Reaction score
What I've been told is that the car is an original, but I am not too familiar with the shelby's to know what makes a shelby a shelby. The motor came with the car when he bought it and he is not a car guy so it's a non issue for him. Since I've known him the car has been in the shop, but from what I gather the car is mostly just a conversation piece. When he talks about what's been done to it and what's being done, it's "bigger cam, racing clutch, billet thingamajig here and chrome dohicky there." Not able to go into much more detail than that. Regardless of that and the bow tie motor, that car is fun as hell to drive.

94Vert

Reaction score
fixthedoor said:
What I've been told is that the car is an original, but I am not too familiar with the shelby's to know what makes a shelby a shelby. The motor came with the car when he bought it and he is not a car guy so it's a non issue for him. Since I've known him the car has been in the shop, but from what I gather the car is mostly just a conversation piece. When he talks about what's been done to it and what's being done, it's "bigger cam, racing clutch, billet thingamajig here and chrome dohicky there." Not able to go into much more detail than that. Regardless of that and the bow tie motor, that car is fun as hell to drive.

It cannot be orginal if it has a chevy motor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.