Grind on deceleration?

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
okay so im asking this question for a friend.

I dont know a whole lot about the car but its a 4.6 cobra.
5 speed.
> 100,000 on the clock.

When he decelerates theres a grinding that sounds like its coming from the transmission?? his foot is not on the clutch and it is fully in gear.

My father seems to think it is the rear end. He said if there was something wrong it would vibrate the whole drivetrain... so it could sound like it was coming from the tranny.

Thanks in advance.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Very possible it is in the rear. Not only will the vibration travel through the entire drive line, but the sound could as well.

blackfang

Reaction score
Have him hold the shifter when this happens, if he feels alot of vibration in the shifter and hears the grinding, then it can be the trans. If he doesnt get that, I also would think it is the rear. Sometimes with gears installed wrong you can get gear whine on a decel.

95 svt cobra

Reaction score
i have the same noise, im all but positive its my rear end, my ring n pinion needs to be rebuilt. to many hard launches and abuse by previous owners

PhotoGuy

Reaction score
I as well have this same issue. I have a 97 Cobra

When I drive in any gear and lift of the throttle I get the same noise. Sounds like theres no tranny fluid in the t-45 and that metal is grinding on metal. Well I checked the tranny fluid and it was completely topped off. Recently just changed the gear fluid in the rear end (or the lack there of) with my 4.10s. Theres a dowel that holds the spider gears and everything together that I know shouldn't move... but will rock back and fourth a little bit. There was no visable gear wear but the fact that this moves I know is not good. I'm having my tranny ripped out this week to find out for sure though.

The thing that concerns me is the tranny has been rebuilt twice in one year (first time my error, second time shop error) and everything is virtually new. I haven't beat on the car much, and definitely haven't launched it so I'm skeptical that it's the tranny, although my name is definitely not Borg Warner.

Ill keep everyone posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online