Gt-40 set up

Mac65

Reaction score
I built an engine last winter and my goal was to make hp with a small budget. I found an old 96 Explorer engine at the scrapyard with GT-40 parts. I ported the heads myself after extensive research on all the Mustang forums. (very good info on head porting if you do your research) The only thing that is still original on this block is the block itself, the 3 bar GT-40 heads, the crankshaft and the Explorer intake manifold. Everything else was replaced with new forged parts. The original crankshaft was professionally polished, The heads were ported and completely updated. (Valve job, new springs and decked)
I have about 2.5 K in new parts. The engine was balanced and runs really hard. After the build I had her Dyno tuned and the numbers were not bad 263 whp / and 303 wtq.
August 9 was the first time ever I wen't to the track at Sanair Quebec for the eastern Canadian Super ford show. Well It was pretty intimidating in front of the huge crowd. I was running in the 14.6's @ 96.55 mph. The thing was I had no traction on 275/40R17's I knew the car could go faster. It was an adrenaline filled rush.

Mid august I got a deal at a car meet in Toronto on a tubular front end with coil overs and installed it (I love it). I ordered my 15x10 Race stars with MT Et streets and got out on Wednesday night at Napierville Dragway for some testing. I was running consistent 13.6's @ 103.12 mph and was still having trouble on launches, the tires were still spinning even after heating them up, later found out they don't spray the track during the week.

My next goal is to get my 60ft under 2 seconds and high 12's.

RichV

Reaction score
Nice job! Youre definitely on par with a low 13. 103/104 mph will be tough for a high 12 IMO. Maybe loose some more weight.

How did you gain 7mph from the 1st time out, to the last? Just the weight loss?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
loosing rotational weight such as heavy pullies, flywheels, driveshaft, lightening the rear gears, and so forth really help with the reaction of the engine.

OP
OP
Mac65

Mac65

Reaction score
Nice job! Youre definitely on par with a low 13. 103/104 mph will be tough for a high 12 IMO. Maybe loose some more weight.

How did you gain 7mph from the 1st time out, to the last? Just the weight loss?

I still have the twenty year old rear suspension on it, that's my next job. The first time I went out I had my street tires and tried all kinds of launches basically I had no traction up to third gear. I even tried launching from idle so maybe that explains why the difference of 7mph. I fell the car or driver can do better too.

The second time out I had ET Streets and installed my QA1 front end.

OP
OP
Mac65

Mac65

Reaction score
loosing rotational weight such as heavy pullies, flywheels, driveshaft, lightening the rear gears, and so forth really help with the reaction of the engine.
That's my next step is to figure out how to lighten up the car.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Awesome, gives me hope for my future hci build! I highly recommend J&M's rear upper and lower control arms, and Ford Racing upper axle bushings. Made a huge difference in the way the rear end handles, and it launches a lot straighter and stronger now. Its not all over the place like it was when everything was stock. Free weight reduction, smog pump delete! that smog pump weighs a good 6-10 pounds easily. An aluminum driveshaft shedded around 10 pounds off my car. So say with the alum d/s, smog pump delete, and 5 speed swap, the cars probably a good 60+ pounds lighter.

Mustanger

Reaction score
Nice reports guys...thanks I am very interested as that is the way I am going too..a 95 Cobra set up but with AFR 165 heads And a E cam....

oh You aren't loosing any weight....maybe LOSING some! HEHE....only loosing weight if your car starts having a lot of rattles!!! Gotcha!

OP
OP
Mac65

Mac65

Reaction score
Awesome, gives me hope for my future hci build! I highly recommend J&M's rear upper and lower control arms, and Ford Racing upper axle bushings. Made a huge difference in the way the rear end handles, and it launches a lot straighter and stronger now. Its not all over the place like it was when everything was stock. Free weight reduction, smog pump delete! that smog pump weighs a good 6-10 pounds easily. An aluminum driveshaft shedded around 10 pounds off my car. So say with the alum d/s, smog pump delete, and 5 speed swap, the cars probably a good 60+ pounds lighter.
I'm thinking on going with Hotchkis Sport Suspensions.
http://www.hotchkis.net/7998_mustang_rear_suspension_pckg_red.html

OP
OP
Mac65

Mac65

Reaction score
Nice reports guys...thanks I am very interested as that is the way I am going too..a 95 Cobra set up but with AFR 165 heads And a E cam....

oh You aren't loosing any weight....maybe LOSING some! HEHE....only loosing weight if your car starts having a lot of rattles!!! Gotcha!
I'm trying to go old school by trying to get the most out of original Ford parts, like porting the heads. I bet once the speed bug bites me I'll probably be going to AFR heads also.
I'm starting to think a 351 build might be in the near future.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Gotcha! I only suggested J&M since its the only ones I have experience with . Hotchkis has been around for a long time, so they're tried and proven parts. Good choice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online