gt40p head and lunati cam set up

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
I told the Guy ill pick them up up Friday...everyone on here seemsi shouldn't get them? They all go for 400 bucks or more on eBay..just for remanufactured ones

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
I have pictures of the heads if anyone wants me to email it to them or text it to them for your opinion

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I would pick them up. I just Paid for some Crane 1.7RR's and i am pending on a sale for a Wolverine 1087 Cam. I'm getting my heads ported for free so in total not including Valve Covers i am into mine for $410. I would say it's a good deal. I am a Hustler though so i always try to get stuff for cheaper. If you want you can Email me the pics and i'll host them tomorrow morning and post them up here for you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
rz5.0 said:
sounds good. i would'nt worry about the conversion to stud mount with 7/16 you might have to use tall valve covers. get them checked out if there good and the price is right the 60 bucks you spend at the machine shop will be woth it.

With tall valve covers don't forget that you will need a spacer between the upper/lower intake. Also what where the rest of the mods he had on his car for his custom cam? I would have thought that he went custom to fit HIS set up exactly and that yours would be different leading to different outcomes. On top of that I will NEVER trust what any random person selling car parts will tell me again. I bought a super nice set of sysemax(holley) heads that only had a" a few thousand miles on them" a couple of years ago. I paid a shop to install them, an intake, exhaust and a cam and another shop to tune it. I was destroyed to watch the engine develope a fatal knock while on the dyno, and then ended up putting a remanufactured longblock back in as after that I was too broke to afford any go-fast parts. No matter what he brings to you, with a receipt from where ever, it would be wise of you to take it right back to a machine shop and pay to have it checked or you might end up in the same boat!

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
You guys are right...I hate to back out on the Guy..but I don't want to be screwed....so tell me what's my best route to take in finding some gt40s....I see all these remanufactured ones on eBay? .. I've looked on craigslist also..this is where I found this head set...but I thought for 400 bucks heads and cam I should go for it...like I said I have pictures of the heads if anyone wants to take a look at them for me...

Sinned83

Reaction score
Like stated above you should have them checked out regardless of where you get them. If it were me id buy some right off a 97 exploder. People who part out their exploders will often sell their whole top end for around $200. Take the heads to a local shop and have them gone over.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
a machine shop will only charge you like 60 to checked them out. still a good deal scince they need to be cleaned up before you install them anyways.or you could buy some for 200 then upgrade the springs have them portet upgrade the valves and valve job there is your 400.if the cam does not fit your combo you could sell it. get harden push rods do not reuse the same ones the valve guide will eat them up.

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
. . . heads have 194/154 stepped valves inside. . . and 7/16 studs and isky guide plates. . good valve springs and keeepers. . . heads have been shaved alot. and their grooved for lock ring type head gasket. paid 800 just for cnc porting and valve train parts. . Manley springs...this is from the gut who built the head the previous owner

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
after being burned on my heads, and with as important as they are I just decided it was best to buy a new set. I also decided that if I was going to take the time to do it, I should do it right. If you are going to take the time and money I do not understand why you would not go aluminum to save the weight. Sure, its more money but again with as important as they are and with as much time/money/work it takes to repair any problem that they could cause if there is a problem I think it is worth it. I have had my trickflows waiting to go on for some time now I just keep having other things come up.

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
I'm going to pass on these .... I hve a couple sets of very nice and clean sets of aluminums for around 700 bucks...the Svo heads...and this is the route I'm going to go I believe

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
Actually one set is svo....the other set is a frpp gt40 aluminum ...the other has the casting number y302

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Canary%20GT40.JPG

Canary%20Lunati.JPG

Win

Legend
Reaction score
I would still pick them up. There worth it IMO. I just paid for my 1.7 Crane RR and my Wolverine 1087 Cam that's going in my ported gt40's.

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
going to look at this setup tonight....going to see if i can pick them up under 400 for everything...ill sell the cam, whats it worth ? 10 bucks lol........what does he mean by the heads haave been shaved?? what does this do??

Win

Legend
Reaction score
Post up the specs when you post a FS Thread. If you want to post it FS here you will need to get your posts above 100.

Raising the compression ratio by reducing the size of the combustion chamber, which makes more efficient use of the cylinder pressure developed and leading to more rapid burning of fuel, by using larger compression height pistons or thinner head gaskets, or by milling or "shaving" the cylinder head.

Quoted from Wikipedia

I would post the cam for more then $10 bucks. I would shoot for 120 shipped.

OP
OP
C

Canary95GT

Reaction score
so by shaving the heads, what am i going to have to change on my setup???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott

Members online