H pipe vs. X pipe vs. sport cat

Rupenie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently runnig straight pipes on my '97 SN95, i have the 2001 engine (260) and i think that this might not be the best exhaust setup... so i was wondering if i'm not loosing power this way... what setup should i use to get the most power and torque? Add sport cats, an Hpipe/Xpipe, or cats and pipe?

Thanks.

joekd

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by sport cats but I am running a pypes catted x pipe with high flow cats (2.5" all the way through)

330CubeGt

Reaction score
H pipe is a deeper tone and is better for low end torque. A x pipe is a high pitched tone so to speak and is better for more up top hp. A pro chamber is a mix between the two in a sence but adds a similar sound as a h pipe would. Choosing a mustang specific exhaust is not that serious as just about any aftermarket off road mid pipe will give you a slight power increase. IDK what sport cat is but I assume its a high flow cat you speak of. If you don't have emissions/smog check where you live I would just run catless as it will net higher peak gains then a catted pipe.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
The engines are designed to operate with back pressure. W/o cats or mufflers your losing lowend torque but gaining hi rpm hp.
Mod motors sound best typically with a X and 5.0's betterr with a H.

330CubeGt

Reaction score
I run a X on mine with magnaflows and it sounds great :)

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

FrankenStang

Reaction score
highflow cats with nomufflers and an H pipe i think sound the best on 4.6l stangs....nice tone with no drone....

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
cats I imagine would be the best for more torque, as far as the crossover goes pick what you like the sound of the best since power differences between the two are a tossup.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online