haave a Severe Leak on Driver Side

Vettn71

Reaction score
While removing the carpet in my 96 GT I found the carpet on the driver side was soaking wet. The passenger side is dry, so it's not a leak from the heater or condensate. The engine and trans are out for repair, so I really can't move it, but I found what looks like an opening. Anyone have any idea if a rubber plug is supposed to go here or if it's just an unused opening?

TIA

Jim

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
That's normal. That being said, that is the area for the wiper motor and whatnot. If water is in there is should drain under the body, not into the cabin.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Check the grommet where the hood release cable comes through the firewall. When I bought my 02 gt I had this problem and found that the grommet was hanging lol. I hope your carpet isnt bad like mine.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I'll be sure to check all the grommets. Isnt there a drain over there, also? I need to poke around more this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions, y'all

Jim

07GtS197

Reaction score
Did you find anything? And if youre talking about the ac drain then no I think thats on the passenger side by the tranny.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
The weather warmed up some and I ran a garden hose over the cowl, but did not see a leak. Not sure what the deal is. Thanks for the responses, though

Jim

07GtS197

Reaction score
Spray some water in the engine bay at the firewall and check again. I'm almost certain it's a grommet on the firewall. Mine leaked and would pool right in font of the drivers seat. Everywhere else looked to be dry but the carpet backing was waterlogged and ruined. I ripped it off, dried the floor and covered the floor with a piece of speaker box carpet folded over a few times since you can't replace just the underlaying material by itself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online