Hard cold start issues. MAF options?

Wild Horses

Reaction score
Ever since I swapped to my pi intake I've been having hard cold starts. Sometimes I wonder if it'll actually start at all. Did some research and decided to first unplug my MAF before anything and sure enough she fired right up. I guess it got bumped during the moving around of parts. I've cleaned it with isopropyl and It's definitely clean. It's no good.

Anyway, I have another MAF from my 98 4.0 explorer sport that I know is good just laying around. Part number is F57F-12B579-DA. Can anyone cross reference this for me? I found that they were used on 94-95 GTs for 19lb injectors. Can't find any cross info for newer 4.6s though. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I just don't want to take the chance a lean my car out.

I'd much rather not buy one if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
replace your ect sensor. maf has very little to do with cold start issues.

If I unplug the maf will it disable the ect? I read that unplugging the maf sets the computer to default values enabling to start. The other thing is that until it warms up I can't hit the throttle or rpm dies down then reluctantly picks up.

daltonduree

Reaction score
If I unplug the maf will it disable the ect? I read that unplugging the maf sets the computer to default values enabling to start. The other thing is that until it warms up I can't hit the throttle or rpm dies down then reluctantly picks up.
alright im assuming you own a ohm meter. test the resistance of the maf, test the resistance of the ect. but yes disconecting the maf will set it to a base tune on the pcm. ignoring the ect, maf and a few others.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
alright im assuming you own a ohm meter. test the resistance of the maf, test the resistance of the ect. but yes disconecting the maf will set it to a base tune on the pcm. ignoring the ect, maf and a few others.

Man you may have hit the nail on the head. Now that I'm thinking about it I replaced my ect when I did the intake swap because the old one snapped while removing it. I got it from ford but it has a different color connector. I had my suspicions that it was probably wrong because a ford one would more than likely look exactly like the old one. Had nothing else to put in at the time. My fan has been turning on at weird times as well. I'm gonna ohm the stuff out and report back.

OP
OP
Wild Horses

Wild Horses

Reaction score
replace your ect sensor. maf has very little to do with cold start issues.

THANK YOU.
I wouldn't have found this for a bit. It's always something small like this on these cars. But I ohmed it out and it was way off. Unplugged it and the car fired right up cold. It's running rich as hell but at least it ain't lean. Getting the right sensor tomorrow.
I can't believe how much of a power loss an ect sensor will give you. This is the first time I'm feeling the new cams and intake. It's been running awful!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah