Have an idea for my V6

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... Instead of dropping a v8 into my car when i get the money...

I had the idea to bore and stroke the current v6 block.
What do you guys think? Will the block hold? Think it is worth it? or go straight for the v8 swap?

Jeremy

Mustang68

Reaction score
the ford 3.8 blocks are alot stronger than most people give them credit for.. i say go for it... ssms has all the engine parts youd need to really wake that 6 up..

shine1stang

Reaction score
Mustang68 said:
the ford 3.8 blocks are alot stronger than most people give them credit for.. i say go for it... ssms has all the engine parts youd need to really wake that 6 up..
X2 i would strongly recommend talking to Tom Y at supersix! He built my motor and i couldnt be happier with it! Great people to do business with.

quik67mustang

Reaction score
Mustang68 said:

x2, theyre not given enough credit, they will usually hold up longer at higher hp levels than the 4.6 will

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys.
I wonder how big i can go? I actually think I'd have more pride in my v6 b&s'd than just dropping in a v8.

It'd be different. lol.

Jeremy

quik67mustang

Reaction score
JeremyAlan said:
I wonder how big i can go? I actually think I'd have more pride in my v6 b&s'd than just dropping in a v8.

It'd be different. lol.

Jeremy

how big can you go? a stock turboed 3.8 engine has been up to 450rwhp and not broken

Mustang68

Reaction score
well ssms has kits out there to stroke them out to long rod 4.3L (262).. which is what i have planed for mine.. uses forged connecting rods meant for the 351W blocks.. ive heard and seen guys get the 3.8s up into the 700 and 800 hp range.. theres rumors that people are trying to get them into the 1000 range. theyll take quite a bit of abuse.. saw one guy was pushing 25psi of boost into the block and didnt blow it.. weak link to the engine is their head gaskets though.. above 15psi they blow easily.. but theyve figured out a way to keep it from happening too.. since no one makes actual copper gaskets for the v6's (like they do for the v8's) they take the original replacement felpro gasket and spray it with copper coating gasket paint.. (old school trick)... allows them to push them much higher with boost...

quik67mustang

Reaction score
Mustang68 said:
well ssms has kits out there to stroke them out to long rod 4.3L (262).. which is what i have planed for mine.. uses forged connecting rods meant for the 351W blocks.. ive heard and seen guys get the 3.8s up into the 700 and 800 hp range.. theres rumors that people are trying to get them into the 1000 range. theyll take quite a bit of abuse.. saw one guy was pushing 25psi of boost into the block and didnt blow it.. weak link to the engine is their head gaskets though.. above 15psi they blow easily.. but theyve figured out a way to keep it from happening too.. since no one makes actual copper gaskets for the v6's (like they do for the v8's) they take the original replacement felpro gasket and spray it with copper coating gasket paint.. (old school trick)... allows them to push them much higher with boost...

matt @ delk i believe has had 31psi through his engine going down the track and didnt blow it up, good for a 9 sec 1/4 mile out of a singleport haha :happydrunks: _J_ and GT-Eater are both in the 800+ flywheel horsepower range, but matt says the teskid block will be the thing that allows for the first 1000+rwhp v6's, he just needs to get the funds to start producing the aluminum blocks

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
quik67mustang said:
JeremyAlan said:

It'd be different. lol.

Jeremy

how big can you go? a stock turboed 3.8 engine has been up to 450rwhp and not broken

and not broken for how long is the key

Its gotta be relieable...you can push 600whp through a 4.6....it wont last long but im sure you can do it for a little while

The 4.6s rods arent reliable after 400-450 rwhp

What can a 3.8 handle reliably?

quik67mustang

Reaction score
thats an example ^ haha....justin had that same setup for years, he never managed to blow up his engine, but his car has been down for awhile because hes re-doing everything and he just had a baby. Plus theres a ton of factors you have to consider, its not ok to say that an engine is ok for a certain horsepower level, all engines are different. there might be a general range its good for if the engine is running in tip top shape, but if it runs like shit, you slap a power adder on it and blow it up because you have a shitty tune, and you were only making 300rwhp, youre going to be pissed because you thought you were missing 150hp. personally i wouldnt go over 400rwhp on a daily driven v6.

Mustang68

Reaction score
quik67mustang said:
matt @ delk i believe has had 31psi through his engine going down the track and didnt blow it up, good for a 9 sec 1/4 mile out of a singleport haha :happydrunks: _J_ and GT-Eater are both in the 800+ flywheel horsepower range, but matt says the teskid block will be the thing that allows for the first 1000+rwhp v6's, he just needs to get the funds to start producing the aluminum blocks

first time ive heard of them doing 31 before.. but not doubting it either.. my guess is hes probably already doing the copper coating on the head gaskets if hes pushing 31 into there..

Mustang68

Reaction score

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
wow....

I would have expected more than 640 rwhp with 30 psi but I guess the engines doesnt flow enough

Mustang68

Reaction score
think it was more his intake setup really.. the upper intake there doesnt look flow friendly to me.. from what ive read elsewhere the split ports flowed alot better than the single ports did...

quik67mustang

Reaction score
ya hes still a singleport! :rollinglaugh: thats the best part of it all, just imagine if he were a splitport!

J made 611whp / 570Tq @ 16psi through a splitport

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm inspired now! lol.
only need the money.

i'm going to try to find some more b&s'd v6's

Jeremy

Mustang68

Reaction score
JeremyAlan said:
I'm inspired now! lol.
only need the money.

i'm going to try to find some more b&s'd v6's

Jeremy

shouldnt be too hard to find.. theres quite a few of them out there.. just not alot of extremest... i havent decided yet if i want to play it safe and run 15 or be a little more ballsy and go with the 20 i really wanted to do from the start...

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i am to go through with it... i'll prolly go with 15. more streetable i would think. less likely to require Loads of maintenance.

Jeremy