Head Options

MadStang

Reaction score
Go TFS heads and don't look back IMO. I've shown what a set of ported PI's can do N/A, a set of unported TFS heads are better and leave a lot more room to grow for the same price as a stage 3.

I got lucky and got my stage 3 PI heads dirt cheap, made 388/385 N/A, but I still wonder what I could have made had I just shelled out a little more for the TFS setup...

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
That very impressive, but doesnt surprise me. Im seeing an un-ported set pull off 350rwhp and getting word, TFS is 400+. Truly unreal from 281cu in

sneaky98gt

Reaction score
Well this is pulled from another forum...

Still say its not worth it at all for what that cost. I'm willing to bet he is $10k into that drivetrain plus the cost of the Roush=just buy a 2011+ Coyote for cheaper.

First off, that's not a 4.6. Completely invalidates a fair comparison right there. Second, since it's has a rotating assembly, and the 38cc heads, I suspect his compression is way up there, probably 12:1 or so. And thirdly, it's on E85 (race gas). I bet that a ported PI setup with the same supporting mods would be north of 360.

And I agree about the cost. That's my whole point. That for the money, unless you are a very dedicated racer looking for every single last horsepower in a N/A setup, they're not worth it.

So you guys are trying to tell me a set of stage 3 ported heads, which are damn near as much as a set of TFS, is better than buying TFS? How does that even make sense? The added RPM range when boost is added to the equation would make for some great gains in numbers would it not? Not to mention the deck height difference. I don't know, if the ported heads were cheaper than they are I would say yeah worth a shot. But being damn near as expensive as a TFS.....

What other supporting mods will you have on this build?

You say the "added RPM range" would make good gains. Well, yes, it would. But will the rest of your setup be able to turn that kind of rpm? It takes a pretty expensive rotating assembly to turn more than 7000 rpm, and if you're going to do it constantly, you're going to need an aftermarket ECU. If you have an auto tranny, you're going to need a built transmission if you're going above 6500. See where this is going?

Are you still on the stock bore? Because if so, all that extra flow and those larger valves aren't going to net you much, if anything. That's the problem with these high flowing heads: it doesn't matter how much the heads flow when the cylinder size is the limiting factor on how much air can get in.

If you're on a stock bore, or only very slightly oversized (<.020 over), and don't have all the supporting mods to turn >7000 rpm, then a set of ported PIs will almost certainly suit you better and cost you less money. You don't necessarily need the biggest ported PIs (i.e. "Stage 3"). A set of stage IIs from most any reputable porter (MHS, Fox Lake, etc.) will suit you just fine. The MHS stage 2 package is a very good deal considering the rest of the parts that come with it.

And as I mentioned earlier, don't be afraid to try porting your own. I promise it's not nearly as "difficult" as some would lead you to believe. I spent around $150 on a die grinder, carbide bits, and cartridge rolls; got the valve guides and springs for something like $250; and got them all installed and a valve job done for around $250. So I've got something like $650 total in my set. I don't know what kinds of gains I got out of it because I didn't get the flow tested, and I haven't been back on the dyno yet, but I can tell that there are significant gains above 3500 rpm, and I can't tell that I've lost any below that.

97stanger

Legend
Reaction score
So much mis-information in this thread. If planning on running boost, go TF and don't look back. Coming from a guy who runs as much ported PI heads and as large of cams that you can with uncut pistons or modified valves.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Since when is .020 slightly over bore? Its significant when no body recommends running over. 030

The D3V

Carnage281

Reaction score
I would go with the tfs heads, lot more room to grow if you want more power.

03DSGGT

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its honestly up to you man, everyone is going to have their own opinion and give you reasons that back that opinion up. I am one of the guys on the TFS bandwagon, and Id do it all over again knowing what I know now. But Im not going to come in here and tell you that youre stupid if you dont buy the Trick Flows. Pretty much everyone in here has given you the pros and cons of both heads, and you know what each head costs, so you have to determine what you think the best bang for the buck is. I personally like the fact of bolting on a set of the TFS heads on my bone stock short block, putting in a set of real cams that wont fit in a PI head without piston notching, and topping it off with the stock PI intake and making great power. Could I have made good power with a set of ported PI's? Sure, but in order to take advantage of the flow, I would have needed to take the pistons out and have them notched to run a good enough cam to make the power. Not really a big deal, but it wasn't something I wanted to get into at the time. I had the heads on and car running in a weekend. So all in all its whatever you feel more comfortable doing...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online