Headlight beams seem weak

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I replaced the dark tinted lens headlight assemblies that came with the car with a new set of smoked lenses. Had the headlights adjusted and driving to work at 0-dark-thirty this morning, they seemed faint and don’t light up the road in front of me very well. I got adequate lighting when I switched on the fog lights, but even then I feel like my headlights alone should be (or I want them to be) as bright as the combo. Did I get the wrong type of headlight? Do I need a stronger bulb? Or ???image.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
sounds like I remember my smoked headlights working. I never drove with out the driving/fog lights on.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I had smoked lights on my mach1
The bulb was dim looking did not light the road very well
I changed the lights out to crystal clear
I was blinding people
I changed them to a blackout back ground
And they light the road up good
I have yellow fogs on my mach1

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Before you start spending money, make sure they’re aimed properly.
Had that done professionally. They shoot out at the usual distance, approximately 30-35 feet but they look like individual “cones” or big Q-tips pattern, not a solid shot of light

ReplicaR

Reaction score
Sounds like someone needs a set of projector retrofits. Check out mine.

IKwIojv.jpg

delling3

Reaction score
Yeah, what you are describing is typical of reflector style head lights. Combine this with a tinted headlight and the result is what you have. Projector style headlights will provide a more "focused" pattern. There are aftermarket, one-piece projector style headlights, but the fit can be problematic from what I have heard. I replaced the stock fluted lens headlights in my '96 with Cobra style lights (still a reflector beam). The light pattern sucks. The pattern looks like the bat signal. That said they do put out considerably more light than the old OE lights.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I was blinding people
going with the black housings instead of the tinted lens would look about the same and have better output. That doesn't help now that you have them on the car unfortunately.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Somthing changed because now I can actually see street signs the brightness is better than the tinted
going with the black housings instead of the tinted lens would look about the same and have better output. That doesn't help now that you have them on the car unfortunately.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Somthing changed because now I can actually see street signs the brightness is better than the tinted
well yea the lights are not shining through a tinted lens anymore. The dark background gives a similar cosmetic look it just does not effect the output of the light.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I was blinding people
So the Crystal Clear bulbs with the black background assembly with clear lenses?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
by "bulbs" I assume you mean the lens on the front of the light and yes. Clear lens with black inside of it keeps a darker look but keeps the lights bright.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever bulbs came with the headlight assemblies is what’s in there now. But judging by ReplicaR’s headlight pix THAT is what I’m looking for!

Are projector beam headlights “plug n play” or do they require a relay?

delling3

Reaction score
Electrically, it’s the same. Both reflector and projectors can use halogens, HID, or LED. The difference is the mechanical housing and optics.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Electrically, it’s the same. Both reflector and projectors can use halogens, HID, or LED. The difference is the mechanical housing and optics.
yes and no. Halogens consume much more current than HID or LED. You do not need to add a relay when swapping to these systems since they will consume less current than the stock bulbs. Its not a bad idea since the switch and harness has been a known weak spot in the circuit but it is not needed unless you have smoked your switch or harness

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Which is less likely to get brights flashed at me by on coming cars, HID or LED?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Great, so both HID and LED will puss off oncoming vehicles?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online