Heads question

Sn95 matt

Reaction score
So i really want gt40 heads but they are hard to comeby where i live ive looked in junkyards and online so i was wonder is there anything i can do to make the e7 heads better? Like any certian valves or springs to really squeeze some more power out of them and eventaully i want to put a e303 cam in it

OP
OP
Sn95 matt

Sn95 matt

Reaction score
Also i can gt40p heads pretty easy but i know theres the whole spark plug and header issue if i were to get them could i use bbk longtubes

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I have to agree that if you are going to buy GT40 heads for the what they seem to be getting for them I would save up for a used trickflow or afr head and like white said really get some bang for your buck.

OP
OP
Sn95 matt

Sn95 matt

Reaction score
I have to agree that if you are going to buy GT40 heads for the what they seem to be getting for them I would save up for a used trickflow or afr head and like white said really get some bang for your buck.
I cant really save up for them my mustang is my daily and i have a blown headgasket so im going down the route of gt40 becuase they are a little bit more power but they are still in my payzone

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I run across them pretty often down this way on offer up and Craigslist
If I see some ill mail you at the top

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Ported e7 heads are known to be competitive and their are still some great head porters out there grinding them out, but for the cost it only makes sence to go aluminum

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got the AFR165’s on my stroker… :)

tinnocker

Reaction score
Check on the difference in GT40 and GT40p heads. Only the "p" heads have fitment issues with headers. Don't quote me on this but GT40 on some 95' Explorers, all 96 and some 97. Most 97s are p heads. The p heads are a tad better, barely. If I had a choice, same price and shape, I would not buy the p, because of the low aftermarket for headers. The gt40 heads would fit your stock manifolds or many aftermarket headers. Ebay usually has them in stock.

OP
OP
Sn95 matt

Sn95 matt

Reaction score
Check on the difference in GT40 and GT40p heads. Only the "p" heads have fitment issues with headers. Don't quote me on this but GT40 on some 95' Explorers, all 96 and some 97. Most 97s are p heads. The p heads are a tad better, barely. If I had a choice, same price and shape, I would not buy the p, because of the low aftermarket for headers. The gt40 heads would fit your stock manifolds or many aftermarket headers. Ebay usually has them in stock.
I thought the only fitment issues was sparkplugs and from what ive read 90 degree boots help with that

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
E7 heads may be on the bottom of the performance list, but they also were packaged with poor designed intake manifolds when compared to what the gt40 came with.

tinnocker

Reaction score
Most 302/5.0 headers aren't made to give enough clearance for plug removal on the p heads without loosening the headers some as you loosen the plug to remove the plug. If the header is bolted on tight, the plug will not screw all the way out before it hits the header. Some may, others won't. The boots help but not when it comes to changing plugs. It can be done, but..... No personal experience, jut what I read when considering some.

Ronnied

Reaction score
I'm running a 96 Explorer GT40 block and heads. I'm using 93 style short tube headers and have no plug issue at all. I also have a set of 01 which are GT40-p but have not done anything with them yet.

oilspill

Reaction score
So i really want gt40 heads but they are hard to comeby where i live ive looked in junkyards and online so i was wonder is there anything i can do to make the e7 heads better? Like any certian valves or springs to really squeeze some more power out of them and eventaully i want to put a e303 cam in it
I have a set off my 94 cobra in my dads garage in NC, where are you located?

OP
OP
Sn95 matt

Sn95 matt

Reaction score
I'm running a 96 Explorer GT40 block and heads. I'm using 93 style short tube headers and have no plug issue at all. I also have a set of 01 which are GT40-p but have not done anything with them yet.
Yea i dont wanna go back to shorty headers ive had alot of bad expreinces with them and i have brand new long tubes that have been sitting for almost a year

Randall Garner

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a option with all the others heads mentioned. Rhs make a very good head in 160, 180, 200cc you can buy a set ready to bolt on for about a 1000. Before spending the money on cast plus a valve job and new springs. Look to see what you can get in aluminum. Check out skip white on eBay. He does a lot of different brands of heads for sbf.

Ronnied

Reaction score
Seeing you want a E303 cam I am assuming your car is auto. My 94 as well, gt40 heads with comp springs, performance roller rockers and stock roller lifters, 70 mm tb and stock gt40 intake. I wasn't looking for a rocket but was rather depressed at launch. Car has good top end but of the line it's a turd. Then again, it is a budget build and learning experience. Runs good and will be a great drop top daily driver. I guess my 01 spd will be my fun car.

302hobronco

Reaction score
I would check out your local pick n pull and see if you can score some gt40s and an explorer intake.
Put Alex's springs on the heads, mill them down .030 and bolt them on. Easy proven power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online