Headunit randomly turning off?

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure what's going on but every now and then, if I have my music a little loud, it just shuts off and turns back on. If I don't turn it down it'll do it another couple of times before it stays off. It's a Kenwood headunit, a nice one, I don't know what's going on. I tihnk the top of the volume is 35? and it's cutting off at like 27. Just enough to drown out the exhaust.

Is it going into like a protect mode to keep from fryin or something? I don't get it.

ddrracing

Reaction score
Are you saying that just the sound is cutting out or the whole unit is cutting out?

ddrracing

Reaction score
Check all the connections on the back of the deck first off. The plug will sometimes heat up and the pins wont make good contact anymore. Second of all, how good are you with a multimeter, and do you own one? If so just stick your leads into the terminals on the back of the deck for a while until it does its shutdown, and see if you can see a variation.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, I have a multimeter and can do that. The plug could be heating up I suppose, but its all in there good. I've checked it quite a few times. And its only when I turn it up so loud. If I keep it below 25, it'll never do it, but likea minute after you go above like 28, it'll just turn off. Iunno, I'll try that multimeter idea here in a little while.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I coudnt find my multimeter, but I decided to check the plugs. They're good and tight and not getting hot. I took out my XM wires, just to be sure, and unplugged everything extra and it still does it.

ram360

Reaction score
check your speaker connections, I had the wire fall off the speaker and it shorted out my radio (and shut it off) when the wire touched metal. Did the exact same thing yours is doing.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Will do. Pretty sure all my speakers are good though, everything sounds fine.

Ill check that and make sure the wires are good and tucked up nicely on the unit too tommorow.

ddrracing

Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the transformer inside the headunit is overheating. I would find your multimeter and test the incoming power to see if you get an fluctuation.

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
If I can find it, I'll do that.

I noticed that it hasnt been doing it since I unhooked me amp and sub. I unhooked it when I was messing with the wiring to try and narrow it down. I'm gonna hook my XM back up and see if its still good. I'm hoping its not the internals of my headunit, I actually like this one. haha. Find out in a day or two

95blackstang

Reaction score
it could be that your grounds are not getting a good connection once you start feeding more power to it by turning up the volume try checking the grounds and if need be upgrade also kenwoods are made to shut of if there is a grounding problem to keep from frying them

ThatKids96GT

Reaction score
nope same thing happend to my buddies jeep...your remote connection is loose if im not mistaken

FordInjected

Reaction score
guys... do you think his head unit could be after some circuit breaker? thats what it sounds like. does it turn off if you keep the volume lower than what ever it takes to " down out the exhaust" ( idk why you would want to do that anyway...)

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
my kenwood unit does that sometimes too. (once every couple of months) only it's when i start the car in the morning. it'll be out for the morning , then OK for the ride home in the afternoon. yesterday I was messing arround behind the radio and found the ground was only twisted together with no tape or anything. so i took care of that and we'll see if that fixed it

OP
OP
D

duh09

Legend
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It wasn't the failsafe, it actually says safety mode or something like that on the screen. I don't know what the issue. I ordered a new unit because it wouldn't come on and I checked all my wiring and it was good... for shits and giggles I hooked it up in my sister's new 68 Beetle that ahd a Kenwood deck but the PO lost the faceplate and it worked? So I dunno what was up with it. I think there is just something a little wrong with the wiring harness. I had already ordered the new one so I sold my old one to my sis for the cost of the new one and now we're all set up haha

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Isaac cerr