Car won’t shut off

Forsakendreamerz

Reaction score
I have a 96 ford mustang 3.8 recently came into a problem where car starts starter engages but when I go to turn the key off the car won’t go off after doing research and going to a family mechanic was told it was the plastic tab in the steering column. My question is can I put a kill switch on the car to bypass the problem or should I jus get the problem fixed ?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Definitely fix it. Is it a problem where the key won’t go all the way back or you pull the key and it keeps running?

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
That might be a bad ignition. I’m pretty sure this one is down on the column. You might have to take the steering column down and do some inspecting.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s my question too. The cylinder isn’t what I’m talking about.

I did have, one time, my f250 key wouldn’t turn off. A piece of plastic broke in there and fell behind the lock cylinder. I just pulled the cylinder out, cleaned everything and reassembled.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Ok, so the action that moves the ignition switch has worn out or broken. Might be time for a junk yard run.

OP
OP
F

Forsakendreamerz

Reaction score
Yeah, that’s my question too. The cylinder isn’t what I’m talking about.

I did have, one time, my f250 key wouldn’t turn off. A piece of plastic broke in there and fell behind the lock cylinder. I just pulled the cylinder out, cleaned everything and reassembled.
He said everything else was fine but I’m going up there tomorrow I jus wanted to know if a kill switch could solve my problem for now

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online

No members online now.