Hello all, here's my story....

laramik

Reaction score
Hi there, my name is Mike and I am a long time mustang fanatic. My first real car was a 93 5.0 black on black LX 5 speed. That car took on the habit of eating trees when I was 18 years old and after that it didn't run much anymore. About 15 years later I bought an 89 LX 5.0 in white which I restored from the ground up with new interior all body wor, new paint, new shocks, transmission, rear end pretty much the whole thing. It looked real nice until I let a friend borrow it. I had two rules no drinking and driving with the vehicle and no driving in the snow. Of course he proceeded to then get loaded and drive it during a snowstorm in which he lost control of the rear and tore the entire torque box so my wheelbase was almost 4 inches longer on that side. There was no fix for it aside from welding in a donor box so I sold it to a neighborhood kid for a grand. Which brings me to where I'm at today. I'll be turning 40 years old soon, and I have a 15 year old daughter who will be turning 16 in the next few days who has been asking for a mustang since she was around 6 years old. She helped me install both transmissions on the white LX and helped with a bunch of little projects during the restoration of it. Seeing as the prices on fox bodies have gotten so ridiculously expensive as of late I decided I'd take a hard look at the sn95 to hopefully get her one for Christmas. Ended up finding a 98 Gt Vert in black on black with an auto tranny and only 67k miles. ZERO rust anywhere, not even undercarriage, and no accidents, full 19 years of history through autocheck with zero accidents or issues. Guy who had it listed was asking 5700 for it which I thought was a good deal to begin with but I only had 3847 dollars in my account so I offered 3800. After speaking with him and telling my story he refused two other offers on it and said he'd actually lower my offer to 3700 and accept it because he loved that it was for my daughter as he had bought this for his son in a similar fashion. Got there and it was every bit as nice as he had said it was and drove her home 400 miles that day. Christmas Eve night I washed it all up and got a giant red bow and she walked out to a awesome 98 mustang GT and was so excited she was crying. there are a few little issues with that none of which are insurmountable and in fact almost all have been repaired as of today but I'm sure we'll be checking in on the forums from time to time for help with these things. Looking forward to being a new member of this community and we'll talk soon

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
972c68360ba556c08c3ea34bb0ec1d91.jpg
82f7e65bc454d9d4e222043d976ef8b5.jpg

PinkieT

Reaction score
Great story! I have a pair of 98 GT verts, one mine and one my wife's. Easy cars to mod, fun to drive. Your daughter is a lucky girl!

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Will be doing burnouts once it's warmed up a bit. It's basically all stock. Just some mufflers. I did order flowmaster super 10s and will be putting those on with new flow tubes and tailpipes this week. Then we have to get together the cash for a new top. This one is still original and in need of replacement.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Clean car and you a great dad spoiling the daughter with her 1st car. But now i wonder...who's car is it really?

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
That's great you and her can share the same passion. She will be grateful for all you teach her, I can't even explain how thankful I am for all my stepdad taught me about working on vehicles.

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
My opinion: You made a bad decision when you lent your car to a friend. The one rule you should of had was NOT to lend your car out to friends. Giving your 16 year old daughter a Mustang because she wanted one, that's your business. A few things your daughter will have to deal with when owning a 20+yr old Mustang.

* Fuel economy: Not the best

* Cabin space: You can fit two people in great comfort, but more than two, things start to get cramped.

* Winter Driving: Unless you plan on really good all seasons or a second set of dedicated winter tires, its bad. And anyone unfamiliar driving a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in a snowy or icy roads especially when turning is increasing their chances getting into an accident.

* Interior: Cheap hard plastic, with the usual rattles.

* Suspension: Handles like something from the 90's...…… harsh ride.

* Vehicle Maintenance: Get it checked out by a reputable mechanic

Good luck
Michael Plummer

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ignore Michael. He can be a bit moody and opinionated sometimes.

To each their own, and do as you please. You and you alone will know if your daughter is ready ready for a mustang at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silver95bird

Reaction score
225hp isn't the big whoop it used to be, especially in a heavy convertible. I wouldn't sweat it. There's a lot of more mundane cars with that power now. Enjoy it!

OP
OP
laramik

laramik

Reaction score
My opinion: You made a bad decision when you lent your car to a friend. The one rule you should of had was NOT to lend your car out to friends. Giving your 16 year old daughter a Mustang because she wanted one, that's your business. A few things your daughter will have to deal with when owning a 20+yr old Mustang.

* Fuel economy: Not the best

* Cabin space: You can fit two people in great comfort, but more than two, things start to get cramped.

* Winter Driving: Unless you plan on really good all seasons or a second set of dedicated winter tires, its bad. And anyone unfamiliar driving a rear-wheel-drive vehicle in a snowy or icy roads especially when turning is increasing their chances getting into an accident.

* Interior: Cheap hard plastic, with the usual rattles.

* Suspension: Handles like something from the 90's...…… harsh ride.

* Vehicle Maintenance: Get it checked out by a reputable mechanic

Good luck
Michael Plummer
I agree with several of your points. No offense taken. It's definitely a summer car pretty much only. We have other vehicles she can use when it's raining and it won't ever be used in snow. Ever. I do plan to put sub frame connectors on it and new struts soon. We already replaced the front ball joints and removed the aftermarket junk alarm that was in it and also threw on some poly sway bar end links from energy suspension. Made more difference than I could've imagined. It's much more about the experience for her and I as we plan to do all the work together and hopefully get it as close to pristine as possible with the intention of her either keeping it to hand down to her kids eventually or trading up for something better. She's probably going to do D1 for softball down in Florida by my parents so the car would stay here for those 4 years and here in Illinois she isn't allowed more than 1 passenger until she is 18. That and I removed all speakers but 1 so she isnt blasting music like an idiot with friends. It has Bluetooth so I didn't want to get rid of all of them as I'd rather have her not answer calls with her phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online