Hello from Austin, Texas

vonfilm

Reaction score
My wife and I have owned our 95 Mustang GT since we ordered it new. My wife raised our son in it and drove it over 200,000 miles. We parked in our driveway about 6 years ago and there it sat.

It is now at a local shop that specializes in older American cars. The plan is to restore it and enhance its power output. I will start a thread in the near future to write about its progress and seek advice.

My thoughts right now are Trick Flow aluminum heads, Cobra intake manifold, Lunati Voodoo cam, shorty headers, no cats, and rebuilding what is needed. It has AOD.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
welcome. With what I hear about the temps down there recently if I didn't have an ac in the garage I think I would wait till fall to start working.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I agree temp is nasty right now

Did I understand right that you are having a shop do the work
Or is it you

By the way
Welcome

OP
OP
V

vonfilm

Reaction score
I am planning on having a shop do the work. I have one estimate so far. I would appreciate suggestions on Austin area shops who can do this time of work.
Yesterday the “feel like temperature” in Austin was 116.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
the shop you think you would taking to have the work done is it just a repair shop
high performance shop
just asking
some shops wont touch performance parts
some dont even know how to make power

are you planning on daily driving?
so many choices

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
right now i dont have any info on shops in your area but maybe one of the members know
of a shop that would help you

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I would ask around and see if there are any performance shops around. When I was in Az I went to a shop called "the mustang shop" only to discover that they specialized in 60-70s and my 94 was not something that they saw often enough to be familiar with them.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
My wife and I have owned our 96 Mustang GT since we ordered it new. My wife raised our son in it and drove it over 200,000 miles. We parked in our driveway about 6 years ago and there it sat.

It is now at a local shop that specializes in older American cars. The plan is to restore it and enhance its power output. I will start a thread in the near future to write about its progress and seek advice.

My thoughts right now are Trick Flow aluminum heads, Cobra intake manifold, Lunati Voodoo cam, shorty headers, no cats, and rebuilding what is needed. It has AOD.
Welcome!

Just to clear things up a bit, this is a 96 car right? 4.6 engine?

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

I like your build idea. As for the cobra intake, i dont think youll get it to mate up to the heads. Im not sure what you are refering to "cobra" as an intake but from my knowledge the cobra intakes are for a 4valve dual overhead cam heads and the trickflow flow heads are 2valve single overhead. Bolting the 4v intake onto 2v heads would not be a direct process.

Look for an edelbrock 2v intake manifold. It pairs very well with the trickflow heads. The negative down fall with the edelbrock intake is it requires edelbrock fuel rails and an adapter plate to use the mustang type upper plenum. Not a bad thing, but its more stuff to buy and is available. Ill try to post a few links for you.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Like how most people feel, the price of aftermarket fuel rails is a bit out of budget. Simply take the intake with the stock rails with injectors to a competent welder that can weld aluminum and have them weld on mounts to match the stock rails. Their is still money involved, but surely not at the price for the aftermarket rails.

OP
OP
V

vonfilm

Reaction score
Our Mustang GT is actually a 1995 model with the 5.0 ohv V8. I edited my original post to reflect that. Just a typo.

I have changed my mind on the Trick Flow heads and have ordered a locally remanufactured 5.0 Long Block with the GT40 heads. This is to help stay within budget.

The plan includes the Cobra intake manifold for ohv engines, and larger throttle body, mass airflow meter, larger injectors, shorty headers, and free flow exhaust with no cats. Maybe a MSD ignition.
The shop doing the work specializes in “classic cars” and are very familiar with sn95 Mustangs. The shop foreman owns one himself.

07GtS197

Reaction score
Welcome! With a cam, that setup can make around 300 hp at the crank. It should move pretty good.

OP
OP
V

vonfilm

Reaction score
I am going to start a thread in the build section on our Mustang to chronicle it’s progress over time. I hope those interested will join us there.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Normally the 2nd/3rd response to these posts is to post pics and start a build page. If you build it we will come....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online