HELP!! 2000 V6 Mustang - Won't start frequently, THEFT light flashes when key is ON

sixstanger00

Reaction score
----THIS ISSUE HAS BEEN RESOLVED----

I disabled the THEFT system using my Delta Force Tuning software. The THEFT light will still flash, but your ECU will ignore any signals from it.

The misfire was due to a fouled spark plug on no. 1 cylinder.

=============================================

I need some help, because I don't know what has happened to my Stang.

Back in June, when I drove to Biloxi for an annual car show, my car began having trouble starting. The starter would turn the engine over, but it acted like either a) it wasn't getting fire or b) no fuel

At the time, it rarely did it. Once every 20 days or so. However, as the last two months have gone by, it's gotten worse - particularly within the last couple of weeks. Three, sometimes four attempts were needed before the car would finally start.

Then, two weeks ago, the car ran fine all day going to work, home for lunch, and back to work. That afternoon, I cranked it up and noticed it was running badly. It also had a tremendous tendency to backfire. It ran like that all the way home (about 2 miles.) The next morning, it was fine again. No hesitation starting, no backfire. It ran fine for another week, then it really went tits-up:

Everytime the key is in the ON position, the THEFT light flashes erractically. Anytime this happens, the car WILL NOT start. Started turns engine, but no fire.

Now, the car still does the THEFT light thingy, but whenever I DO get it started, it's only running on 5 cylinders.

HELP!!!

OP
OP
sixstanger00

sixstanger00

Reaction score
P.S. I did some googling and noticed a few people suggested the ECU might be faulty.

I ruled that out just now - just reflashed the ECU and it's OK.

Could it be a bad spark plug?

The first Accel coilpack I received back when I ordered it was faulty - it didn't fire on No. 6. Could this one have also gone bad?

Another possibitly is that I've totally lost compression on one cyl.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
tough problem man....

is there any one nearby who is any good with the PATS system?? some people can completely bypass it, and that might be a start...

very strange problem....

OP
OP
sixstanger00

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Hey guys, for future reference, if anyone has a problem with their PATS (THEFT system), refer to this information:

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]The engine does not start and LED remains off: [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1. Check PATS system fuses 2. If alarm is fitted check if LED functions for alarm: if not check cigar lighter fuse (also used for LED)

[/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]3. If not go to main dealer [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Engine does not start: LED flashes rapidly: [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Leave ignition on until the LED starts to flash a 2 digit code: (sequence- pause-sequence) Check the following codes:

[/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:3 [/FONT]- [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Key code not received. Is key screened by other keys or objects? Try different key: if okay then first key is faulty. [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]If not go to main dealer

1:4 - [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Partial code only received. Try again. If not okay use different key. [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]If not go to main dealer [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:5 [/FONT] [FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]- Key not programmed into PATS. Program key as above using master [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]1:6 - [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Faulty link between PATS module and EECV [/FONT][FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]Go to main dealer [/FONT]

I found this information here: http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pats.htm, and it turns out mine is 1:6.
[FONT=arial, Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]

OP
OP
sixstanger00

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Haven't had a chance to look yet. Tomorrow, I'll have to go over the entire electrical system on the PATS to locate where the fault is. My guess is that it's probably going to be in the steering column - I've had a lot of issues there - multifunction switch keeps blowing high beam fuses, and the intermittent wiper settings half ass work now. Lo and Hi on wipers work fine, but if I set it to intermittent, it will wipe half the windshield and freeze, a few minutes will pass, then it will finish it's cycle. The wiper problem has been going on for some time now, and the headlight prob has been an issue since I got the car in '07.

The electrical on my car was installed by monkeys.

OP
OP
sixstanger00

sixstanger00

Reaction score
Instead of going on a wild goose chase trying to save a Pony, I did a little more research on my prob:

Most 96+ SN95ers may already know this, but you can retrieve trouble codes from your ECU without any kind of handheld:

1) Place key in ignition and don't turn on.

2) Press and hold odometer reset button for 5 seconds, then turn key to "ON" position. DO NOT START ENGINE!

3) The word "test" will appear on your odo. Release the button, and it will say "Gauge." Press the odo button to cycle through the many different test modes.

One will read "dt" or "dtc," followed by a number. These are your trouble codes. This is PARTICULARLY useful is your SN95 IS NOT throwing a CEL. When you're finished, simply turn your key "OFF."

I pulled several from mine:
dt79FF
dtcd262
dtc9681
dtc5284

Nash11

Reaction score
What happened next? What Do those codes mean? Were u able to fix it without taking it to a dealer?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinastang78

Members online