help broken seat bolts

9838stang

Reaction score
I was trying to get my seats out to detail the car and and to clean up my carpet. In the process I managed to break two bolts on the driver side, got on bolt out with out a problem, and one is stuck. I soaked all 4 in liquid wrench before trying to take them out.

My question is how do I remove the broken bolt out of the car now? I heard drilling will take forever, and vise grips may not work. Any ideas????

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Same problem and I never got mine out. Happened on my passenger seat, right rear bolt. Snapped off clean with the floor. Luckily the other 3 still hold it down well enough.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Depending on how stuck it still is you could try to punch it and take it out like a screw....worth a try lol.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Try going at it from the bottom using vice grips. There is usually some threads sticking down through the chassis, this is why they break. They corrode on the bottom and the threads bind. Go from the bottom and extract it that way to clean threads are being pulled through, not the dirty corroded threads which caused it to break before.

blackdemon007

Reaction score
Also happened to me, if you have access to a carbide drill bit and electric drill, you can drill it out.
Standard drill bits will not work.

Then just put a bolt thru the hole with a nut and washer on the other side.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if you know someone that welds see if there is enough of the bolt on the bottom to weld a nut too and try to take it out from that side.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I ended up breaking 3 bolts total, and I got them all out. 1st one was taken out with a torch and penetrating oil and a vise grips. The other two had to drilled out. That was a pain in the ass. Gunna use anti seize next time

TanTop94

Reaction score
Glad you got them out! You said something about wanting some interior pieces...I have a 99 donor car around me if there's anything you might need.

OP
OP
9838stang

9838stang

Reaction score
I did want new rear pieces. But I want the two tone color. The 99 and up don't have that. Thanks though man.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hooly I've never heard of this in all my years of playing mustangs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online