HELP- Exhaust Problems

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
I need someone with a 96/98 with stock exhaust or aftermarket exhaust. Now theres a tone i dont like with theses car thats been happening forever. When revving engine you hear the exhaust good @ lower rpms, but once you get above 3500 it sounds like packs of air! Wtf, how do i get rid of this sound? I mean i hear more of the engine in high rpm's rather my exhaust. I have a sound clip of my exhaust for you hear to figure this out:

Listen in this clip http://video.freevideoupload.com/MIC-2006-03-31_14h39m15s @ 48secin you can hear the smoosh sound from the engine rather than the exhaust @ 4k rpms. Thoughout the clip you hear the soft sound which i hate the most!
Now what is causing this sound :( I heard this sound on mustangworld stock car clips and it sounds the same so how the hell can i get rid of it. What is it? Is it the 4 cats and 2 restonators making it sound soft? Is it the air silencer making it sound like packs of air?

=( Im lost.. i mean @ low rpms its nice and fooking deep sounding.. ground shaking and attettion getter.. however after 3500 you start to hear the engine more than the exhaust like you hear in my clip.

I know for sure its not the catback b/c i just got mac catback on there and it sounds good becept after 3500 it sounds like the ford stocker system :'( Also, i heard acouple stangs that rev above 5000k in Neutral and you hear the exhaust scream instead of the engine.

its a 97 gt stock everything becept exhaust
 

STNG_96

Active Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Thats just because your not loud enough. Get a different midpipe as well, then you will have more trouble hearing the motor.
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
STNG_96 said:
Thats just because your not loud enough. Get a different midpipe as well, then you will have more trouble hearing the motor.

ya, i got it figured out now. Its the stupid stock hpipe thats making my exhaust sound so crappy in high rpms. Blah.
 

Foster98GT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
0
Twista said:
STNG_96 said:
Thats just because your not loud enough. Get a different midpipe as well, then you will have more trouble hearing the motor.

ya, i got it figured out now. Its the stupid stock hpipe thats making my exhaust sound so crappy in high rpms. Blah.

Do you have your x-pipe installed, if so can we hear another sound clip?
 

DropTopPony

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
15,376
Reaction score
173
Location
South Jersey
also since you are stock NPI your car actually starts to choke after 4000rpms. If you have ever seen a dyno graph for a stock 96-98 you'll see what i'm talking about.
You really need to get rid of the stock mid pipe! those 6 cats are a major restriction. A few intake upgrades will aid in exhaust sound also.
 

STNG_96

Active Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2006
Messages
292
Reaction score
0
Here is a clip of my car. The sound quality is not very good because of the age of the camera, but you still get the idea.

th_Picture004.jpg

As said in my sig, thats a MAC offroad x-pipe, and a magnapack catback
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
STNG_96 said:
Here is a clip of my car. The sound quality is not very good because of the age of the camera, but you still get the idea.

th_Picture004.jpg

As said in my sig, thats a MAC offroad x-pipe, and a magnapack catback

ya, it sounds like a differnt year car without that crappy stock midpipe
 

94gtstang50

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,044
Reaction score
0
Sounds kinda like my car now, gotta love the "performance friendly modded" stock H.
 

ALITL8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
0
94gtstang50 said:
Sounds kinda like my car now, gotta love the "performance friendly modded" stock H.

its actually sounding and running a little better since i installed my self ported and polished throttle body. P&P'ed upper intake coming next, then when i save up for my tuner i'll be adding the PI intake and possibly PI or stage 1 cams :thumb:
 

94gtstang50

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
2,044
Reaction score
0
Same with mine, it feels faster than with the o/r H. :dunno:
 

ALITL8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
0
i took my son for a ride this evening and he said he could feel the difference from the passenger seat. one of my favorite shops is installing a dyno jet real soon. i hope to go up and see if the tb and pullies have stretched out my torque curve... sure feels like it!

hey Twista, i personally like the sound on the H's over the X's but its really personal preference and the X's, i believe, make a little more HP :dunno:
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
ALITL8 said:
i took my son for a ride this evening and he said he could feel the difference from the passenger seat. one of my favorite shops is installing a dyno jet real soon. i hope to go up and see if the tb and pullies have stretched out my torque curve... sure feels like it!

hey Twista, i personally like the sound on the H's over the X's but its really personal preference and the X's, i believe, make a little more HP :dunno:

Ya, i like H's also, but whatever i find first im going to get eh :p Anything is better than this stock midpipe. I have flowpaths on and i know with a catted h itll sound nice, loud and deep. With a cattedX pipe im not sure but i dont think itll sound bad either.
 

Foster98GT

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
0
Good sound both of you guys. I've got a Mac Catback and im going with an or Mac H. Within the next couple of weeks i hope.
 

ALITL8

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
0
good luck with it Twista! hey, did you remove the silencer and put a cold air kit on it yet? that will add to the sound as well. i already had the silencer removed, K&N FIPK and Flowbastards and it sounded okay but man when i got the H installed it was a night and day difference! like i said, it sounds so good people think i've actually spent some money on this exhaust ;)
 

Twista

Legend
Joined
Mar 7, 2006
Messages
6,042
Reaction score
76
ALITL8 said:
good luck with it Twista! hey, did you remove the silencer and put a cold air kit on it yet? that will add to the sound as well. i already had the silencer removed, K&N FIPK and Flowbastards and it sounded okay but man when i got the H installed it was a night and day difference! like i said, it sounds so good people think i've actually spent some money on this exhaust ;)

ya, the air silencer is removed and we only got a K &N filter on her.. not the whole kit. I didnt notice any sound differnce @ all, so i know i need the hpipe or xpipe.
 

u n v kenny

New Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2006
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE CHAMBERES MUFFLER'S IE; MAC, FLOWMASTER, DO NOT GET AN X-PIPE!!!

Use and H pipe trust me, the X's sound like SHIT.

If you do happen to get an X pipe, use magnaflows!!!
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
74,806
Messages
1,451,689
Members
13,531
Latest member
Aomustang

Members online

Top