Exhaust suggestions a GT Convertible in Australia

martymoose

Reaction score
Hi all
Just found this forum
Have a 2004 convertible GT delivered brand new into Australia and then right hand drived.
I have the stock exhaust I think standard ford mufflers and resonators has a h-pipe installed
Wife said it sounds like a pussy I think it's more like I Tesla.
Doing homework I think flowmasters are the go. ( free delivery with Amazon to aus)
I want it not to drone but sound at idle and sound even better at throttle
Just need some advice please
Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20231011_202143045.jpg
    PXL_20231011_202143045.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20231010_075114076.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231010_075114076.MP.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 5

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
some super 44 flow masters are not bad. and if you are wanting some extreme flow Mastres
there is the outlaw witch i found out was loud as hell

TrickVert

Reaction score
If you don't want drone, you don't want Flowmasters (or any aftermarket mufflers, really) unless.... There's a (long and involved) thread on The Corral about adding tuning tubes - Heimholz resinators - to the exhaust to cut the drone.
https://www.corral.net/threads/exhaust-drone-is-completely-gone.496793

I added them on my '95 and nearly eliminated it. The car is much more enjoyable after the mod.

That said, Dynomax Super Turbos (what I have) will give you a low, bassy note and still be fairly quiet. I love them for the sound and because they're different from the..... Flowmasters - everyone has these, but that's because they sound good on a Mustang. Magnaflow 18" muffs have a great sound as well, but different from the FM's.

It sounds like you need to spend some time on YouTube. Here... I'll start you out. :)

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
+1 with Rau. I had the FlowMaster Super 44 cat-back exhaust on my ‘95 347 stroker with all 4 cats and, to me, it sounded great. Like you, I’m not a huge fan of loud exhausts, especially those that make the car louder than it is fast.
I also recently swapped the above for MagnaFlow Dumps. I know that sounds hypocritical, but I really just wanted to hear just how different they sound vs the FM. Honestly, to my ear, there isn’t a monumentAl difference and I like very much how the dumps sound. Yes, they have more of a “bass” tone at low, rolling rpm’s but a small part of that could be the stroked motor.

Just my $.02….. but yes, as mentioned in other replies, you owe it to yourself to research sounds on YouTube. Just make sure you’re listening to cars with same/similar set ups and engine as yours.

Good luck on keep us posted on your decision. Cheers!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I would be of no help in this category. I dont like mufflers on the toys. I want that authentic racecar sound. No music, no talking, just exhaust.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just noticed yours is a convertible. Less interior drone, especially with top down! ;-)

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Any luck on the before and after videos??

OP
OP
martymoose

martymoose

Reaction score
Only a slight increase in noise over stock. Actually disappointed but wasn't until it was on hoist I seen I had 2 hotdogs at rear pipes and 4 cat converters. So 2 cats and 2 hotdogs will get removed next week I Hope. As for drone there was no difference from stock so I'll wait and see. But here we have very cause road surface so with road noise I lost the drone

OP
OP
martymoose

martymoose

Reaction score
Cats removed will definitely wake that exhaust up! You might not like it anymore lol
Going to just remove two of the four to keep it legal with the sensors and all that kind of stuff so we'll see how we go

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
If you still have more drone than acceptable, try a pair of Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators in the factory cat location. They don’t restrict flow and cancel out unwanted frequencies quite well.

You’re welcome :)

OP
OP
martymoose

martymoose

Reaction score
If you still have more drone than acceptable, try a pair of Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonators in the factory cat location. They don’t restrict flow and cancel out unwanted frequencies quite well.

Cool you have a link thanks

OP
OP
martymoose

martymoose

Reaction score

Ok good found these so first cat into these where 2 nd cat was then super 44s straight thru to tips?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231127-123757.png
    Screenshot_20231127-123757.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online