Exhaust suggestions a GT Convertible in Australia

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
FYI, those resonators (hot dogs) on the tailpipes are not OEM, at least not on US cars. That might be why your car is much more quieter. 2 mufflers, 2 resonators and 4 cats would do that. You may want to look into having those removed. It might give you the volume you want with just the stock mid-pipe and mufflers.

With my old 2003GT, i ran the stock mid-pipe with a cat-back flowmaster exhaust and it was pretty loud. It also droned a lot. I still have the stock exhaust on my GT convertible and no desire to change it, but last time under the car, one of the mufflers looked a little suspect, so I may be in the market for a cat-back shortly.

b1pig

Reaction score
With my old 2003GT, i ran the stock mid-pipe with a cat-back flowmaster exhaust and it was pretty loud. It also droned a lot. I still have the stock exhaust on my GT convertible and no desire to change it, but last time under the car, one of the mufflers looked a little suspect, so I may be in the market for a cat-back shortly.

My 94 302 auto has OEM mid pipes with the Flowmaster catback exhaust. Its not that loud. I mean, it rumbles a bit... but it's just not loud. I had a 2004 Tahoe that a muffler shop "mistakenly" put a 40 series on. That sucker had horrible drone, but it also wasn't all that loud outside. I really don't have any drone. Maybe being a 'vert helps since there's no metal roof to resonate.

A coworker of mine had a 96 GT that was a Cobra clone. That car had no cats and Flowmasters. It would set off car alarms. I mean, it was LOUD enough to feel it in your chest standing outside near the car.

I'm ok with how mine sounds right now, but it also doesn't get driven much. It should get a little louder after a few hundred miles or so. I might have put 300 miles on that exhaust at this point. Maybe a little more.... but its still pretty mild in my mind.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
My foxbody has H/C/I and I run a catted X-pipe and used to have Flowmaster 40's on it. That sucker was LOUD. The entire reason I ran a catted X-pipe was to try and tone it down a bit. Even that was loud so i swapped to Borla Pro XS Mufflers. It's still pretty darn loud. I won't start it up early in he morning or at night. I'm friends with a lot of folks in my neighorood and it's not uncommon for me to start my car, let it idle with the custom grind cam chopping away and have a neighbor 3 streets over text me "Hey, is that your Mustang I hear? Sounds good!"

Hence why my more frequently driven '00GT still wears the stock exhaust. But i might do a Flowmaster American thunder cat-back on it. It's what I had on my 03 GT coupe and I loved it.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My Super 44’s with X-pipe and all 4 cats (thank you very little, CA!) was pretty mellow but still had throat when you get on it. Could be a good route for you based on feedback.

When I first bought the car it had a Bassani exhaust system. It sounded good but almost “too refined” if that makes sense; nice but not very aggressive or throaty unless you really got on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online