Help! Key Broke off in the ignition, what do I do???

MysticVenom96

Reaction score
I was able to get the broken peice out but, now I have 1 broken key. Can I just go to a key maker and have me make a new one? Or do I have to go to the dealer to get a new one, were 96 keys's coded? Plus now I have no car to drive, is there any way to start it, or am I gonna have to get it towed to the dealer to have a new key made, it was my only key. Is there anyway around this so I dont have to shell out all this money for a dang key plusPlus I wont have a car for a few days? Any help is appreciated!

281cammer

Reaction score
Is that the only key you have? 96 was the first year for PATS(computer) keys. They are a few ways you can do it. It has to be coded though. You can go to ford with your license and registration((required)) and they can give you a key code. Get a PATS key cut from the parts dept with that code. You will use that key to drive your car to dealer so they can program a set for you. What you will have to do is put the new key in the ignition, but make sure when you try to start it you have your old broke black piece laying right against the new key black piece, so the PATS transceiver will recognize it. This will save you a tow bill. Sorry so long, if you have any questions let me know.
Steve Ricketts

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yep they gotta code the key, no fun for you, nor any fun for car thieves!

STNG_96

Reaction score
How the hell did you manage to do that anyway?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Staff online