Help me avoid another dumb mistake...

Code Red

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your advice. Don't want to make another dumb mistake...

- Bought Victor Jrs. Head
- not enough valve clearance for stock 302 :mad:
- want to trade for AFR 165
- received offers for TFS twisted Wedge and SVO GT40X aluminum heads

Question:
Are TFS twisted Wedge and SVO GT40X aluminum heads as good as AFR 165?
Do they have enough valve clearance for my stock 302?
:-\

NITROUSINJECTED

Reaction score
afr 165s have plenty clearance 185's dont you need a fly cut piston for those but the 165's are a direct replacement head got a lot of oklahomans with those heads and love them

wytstang

Reaction score
TW flow just as good as AFRs but with an added bonus. You can port the TW more then AFRs which can grow with the motor if need be. .02

wayne94mustang

Reaction score
dont forget....flow and hp are two different things. in that awsome head shotout afr 165 and 185 killed every other head out there in stock form

OP
OP
C

Code Red

Reaction score
wayne94mustang said:
dont forget....flow and hp are two different things. in that awsome head shotout afr 165 and 185 killed every other head out there in stock form

Good point...I do remember reading that article. It's just that AFR 165 appears to be harder to come by in a trade.

I guess I could just sale the Victor Jrs. and start over....dang what a hassle...

Thanks guys.

koniz

Reaction score
Definitely AFR's, Good Quality, Good Flow, Good numbers

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
the afr's are cnc ported from the factory, your victor jr's are great heads also, have you not considered getting a new set of pistons so you can keep your edelbrock heads? If its an issue of money I can understand that, but its something to consider. The gt-40 heads are not very popular any more, they are getting pretty old in a market with new heads comeing out on a regualr basis, over all I would go with the AFR 165's if you do make a swap.

QIKGTS

Reaction score
I agree with everything posted so far...

The 165 is a good head. It flows good and has a good combustion chamber, but also bumps up the compression quite a bit. Keep in mind that the 165 is really maxed out on a small displacement motor like a 302 or 306. If you are thinking about a 331 or 347 or even switching to a 351 later down the line, the 185 will be a better head in the long run. even though you will need to cut the piston. To tell you the truth, if you are going to do the head swap yourself, you have the ability to cut the piston. I don't think it's that tough with or without the tool. A good carbide tip on a die grinder should make easy work of it.

If you trade for the x head, make sure they pay you some good cash (I would take no less than $500 if the x heads are used) too so you can upgrade the valve train and get the exhaust ports opened up.

The TW rocks as we all know, but you will need to cut the pistons for them to work also.

Just my .02 as usual...

Z28 This

Reaction score
i think AFR are some of the best heads..im going with AFR 185 soon

NITROUSINJECTED

Reaction score
if you get the tf cnc ported heads they flow equally as good as afr's. Even the non cnc'd heads flow close to the afr heads. 5.0 mustang had a write up on tf heads and claimed that they are the best bang for the buck

redripper

Reaction score
Any head is good head! Twisted wedge heads = twisted pistons have to cut for the valves. AFR is what my engine builder (DSS) recomends. Remember higher compression means no blower or you could blow it and blow it up.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
redripper said:
Any head is good head! Twisted wedge heads = twisted pistons have to cut for the valves. AFR is what my engine builder (DSS) recomends. Remember higher compression means no blower or you could blow it and blow it up.

high compression is good for nos however

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online

No members online now.