Help me choose!

ba#97

Reaction score
hey everyone. As many of you know I have my 95 that is a trailer queen for track and autocross use. right now I'm about to deploy (again) and am mulling around in my head a few new ideas. I have 3 of them and need help choosing. Now keep in mind the reason some of these choices are tough is because they will require a lot of time and saving money to complete as my goal would be for the car to be competitive.

Option A - Keep the 95 for open track use and for redline time attack use. Project estimated completion (2-3 years)

What the car would need -

- Finish the rear suspension (i.e. some sort of pml3, or watts link, or steeda 5 link.
- MM tubular K-member
- 4 or 6 piston front brake setup
- Aero - i.e. front splitter and some sort of rear spoiler or wing
- Motor, Dart block 331 stroker more than likely
- Rebuild rearend

Option B - Keep 95 for good and slowly build for SCCA Autocross C-Prepared class. Est. completion (3-5 years)

What it would need -

- All of the above ^^
- Different gearing for autocross competition
- Serious fender flares
- 18x11in wheels on all 4 corners (at the very least!)
- 315's on all 4 corners at the very least

Option C - Sell 95, sell truck and trailer. Purchase 2011-2014 Mustang GT track pack preferably. Use as daily but also run in SCCA Autocross E Street Prepared class and sometimes occasional track use. Est completion (1-2 years)

* Basically for this one I would love for it to be an awesome daily but still know I can be competitive in Autox too.

What it would need -

- Still need to be streetable as it would be a daily driven car.
- Suspension mods front and rear (coilovers, panhard bar) all within rules of course
- Full exhaust and minor bolt ons
- Dedicated autocross set of wheels/tires
- Aero (quick change front splitter and rear spoiler setup.

so that's it, I need help choosing. Right now I'm leaning towards Option C!

Monsterbishi

Reaction score
I tried the whole daily driver and track toy combined a few times over the years - It doesn't work.

Not only does it compromise how competetive you can be, but when it breaks you won't have a way to trailer it home and you won't be driving it to work the next day.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
yeah, that's really the only thing stopping me from doing that but I feel like I can easily remedy that with buying a cheap s10 or something on the side. as of now I tow the car back and forth and just trying to decide if it's gonna be worth all the money I still have to spend to get this car where I want it compared to just getting a car that's close to that already.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Option A! I've been looking more into the time attack option and I'm thinking ill start once I get some good track experience under my belt.

Also I see two or three things on that list I could help you out with :cool:, I heard somebody local is coming up with an sn95 watts link and could probably give you a deal

wmfateam

Reaction score
I second the A! I hear that the local watts link guy also has you 80% covered with a front splitter and future brake options. And I love seeing SN95 race cars.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

RichV

Reaction score
All are good plans IMO. Look in your local area to see what your car would be most competitive in.

The SN needs a lot, not to mention tuning. You don't just bolt shit up and have a monster. It takes some time to sort it out.

Getting the newer chassis is a great plan as well. I started running TT in my 05, it is superior to the SN in every way. I ran lap times last time out within a second of old CMC laps with 600 extra lbs, street tires, in full street trim. Drove it to the hotel with 2 passengers. But I'm already wanting to tinker with it and I know it will not make it as street friendly. It will slowly become the new race car, lol.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
thanks guys for your opinions. My hand my have been dealt for me as of yesterday though. I got orders to Korea for next year so it looks like more than likely I'm cleaning house and starting over when I get back. More than likely going with the newer or newest stang plan. lol.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
Option A! I've been looking more into the time attack option and I'm thinking ill start once I get some good track experience under my belt.

Also I see two or three things on that list I could help you out with :cool:, I heard somebody local is coming up with an sn95 watts link and could probably give you a deal

I think I know who you're talking about....might hit him up if I decide to keep the hot rod! lol. but as stated above with the new changes to my situation I more than likely won't be keeping the sn95. so if you know anyone that would be interested in the car hit me up. you as well. I know you've put a lot of effort into your's but if you want this one you could easily swap your fancy mods on it as my suspension is mainly dialed in and the car is caged. car is a great platform as is. just needs that watts you're working on and it can be a fun track toy till you have the money to have it competitive motor wise.

advice on redline time attack though, if you use your car, only go for the Enthusiast class. I was mistaken on wanting to go to the Street RWD class after talking to one of the guys who runs the enthusiast class in his M3. he informed me that if you want to be competitive in Street class you better be prepared to beat 500+hp $50k shop cars. so yeah. and sadly with the cage that's where my car would be put. so I would only use it for American Iron or NASA TT now.

Rich - yep I agree. and as of right now that's the issue I am having with my car, I know I need the to work on the rear suspension to get the car where I really want it and then I can just get it out to the track and really enjoy it but even then with the classes I want to run I still have a ways to go. at least with a new mustang I can toss some mild suspension on it, I already have the wheels and sticky tires and just get it on track. I would make sure to go with the brembo and recaro package and bam....great street/track toy. you drive the 05 to the track don't you?

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
All are good plans IMO. Look in your local area to see what your car would be most competitive in.

The SN needs a lot, not to mention tuning. You don't just bolt shit up and have a monster. It takes some time to sort it out.

Getting the newer chassis is a great plan as well. I started running TT in my 05, it is superior to the SN in every way. I ran lap times last time out within a second of old CMC laps with 600 extra lbs, street tires, in full street trim. Drove it to the hotel with 2 passengers. But I'm already wanting to tinker with it and I know it will not make it as street friendly. It will slowly become the new race car, lol.

hey man....that new spec mustang class is gonna be awesome....just sayin'....go for it! ha!

RichV

Reaction score
Ya, I drive it a lot. Work, track, with kids on errands, etc.

Spec Iron. Special class just for S197, similar to CMC but the 197 was too fast for CMC so NASA booted it and created SI.

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
yep that's the one. I feel like that class is going to be pretty popular. I'd hit it up if I could afford it. maybe I will just get that style mustang and slowly build it to that....hm. maybe. lol.

kaveman

Reaction score
I would have to say option A. Definitely not C for the same reasons as [MENTION=8145]Monsterbishi[/MENTION]

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

ba#97

Reaction score
good news on this front is that I am 95% sure I will be going with option c now. including the fact that due to some moving around I have to do within the next year I will be saving enough money to where I will more than likely not have to sell the truck and trailer anymore to make it happen so I still will have a way to get the new stang back and forth to the track! so it's looking a lot more like a newer car.

RichV

Reaction score
My 05 GT 'premium' (3700lbs with me in it), put down close laptimes on street tires as front runner CMC (2009ish) cars with 255 r-comps at 3100lbs.

You will definitely feel a handling difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online